1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Integrated Wireless Controller/PC Card Adapter/Ethernet port stopped working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jocks98, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jocks98

jocks98 Thread Starter

I have read/searched through most of the posts on this and various other sites and can't seem to find help with my problem. So hopefully someone will be able to help.

This morning when I woke up my computer worked properly. I then went to work, and when I turned it on I got the "blue screen of death." (I apologize for not posting the exact wording, but I did not think I would need it). I restarted the computer per the instructions, and it booted up. The computer, however, failed to connect to the wireless network. I noticed that the network icon was not in the taskbar. I then went to device manager and my integrated wireless adapter (Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG) had a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. I clicked on properties and under the 'general' tab the device status read:

This device cannot start (Code 10)
    Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device

I then unistalled the controller and attempted to reinstall via the 'add hardware' program. I then received the message:

A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your device may not function properly

I then, believing it was a driver issue, downloaded the latest drivers from the intel website for my device on another computer. I uninstalled the controller again, and tried to install with the new drivers via a thumb drive. I received the same error message and the controller had the yellow triangle. When I clicked on properties this time I received the following message:

Adapter state not found in registry

Next, I tried to connect to the network with the onboard ethernet port. This was also unsuccessful. The network adapter for the onboard NIC doesn't show up in device manager.

I also tried the above steps in both safe mode and safe mode with networking.

When I returned home, I pulled tmy wife's pc card network adapter from her laptop (D-Link Air DWL-650 Wireless PC Card(rev.P)). I installed the drivers on my laptop, restarted, then plugged the card into my laptop. I was then able to successfully connect to the network. After checking my emails, I shut the computer down and prepared to go by a pc card adapter for my computer. Before I left I turned the laptop back on to check prices. Upon restart, the D-Link stopped working as well. I went to device manager, and it too had a yellow triangle next to it. Clicked on properties and got the message:

This device cannot start (Code 10)
    Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device

Uninstalled the device and the drivers, and tried again. Then got the message:

A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your device may not function properly.

I also tried these steps in safe mode to no avail.

I also ran a virus scan with symantec Antivirus (program 10.1.5.5000 Scan engine: 81.3.0.13 virus definition file 3/29/2009 rev. 3).

These are my system specs:

Toshiba Portege M205 tablet PC
    Windows XP tablet pc sp 2
    1.5 Ghz processor
    2 GB ram
    74.5 GB HD (51.1 GB available)
    ACPI Bios version 1.20

Please let me know if you need any more info, and I apologize for the length of my post. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like your motherboard is rapidly dying. :(

If the ethernet controller (or adapter) does not show under Network Adapters and is not in Other or Unknown devices with a warning or error message check in the BIOS (Setup) to see if it somehow got disabled. If it is already enabled, or doesn't show there, see my first paragraph.

When the ethernet controller is defective it can prevent other integrated and/or PCMCIA networking cards from working. When this happens sometimes a USB adapter will work.

3. jocks98

jocks98 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid that you might be right. The LAN is enabled in bios, and does not show up as an unknown device. I also noticed this morning that the integrated sound card has disappeared from the device manager (the codecs and drivers are still showing) and the sounds tab of the control panel says no audio device connected.

Although I'm doubtful it will work, I'm going to try a repair install of xp before considering the machine a lost.

Is it possible that the machine is having an electrical problem? I'm trying to figure out what the D-link card no longer works in my wife's machine. I wonder if my computer shorted it out.

Thanks again for your help.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In what way is the card not working in your wife's machine? No LEDs come on? Card not being recognized in Device Manager? Etc.?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/815636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice