1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel 3.0Ghz heat control

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gkm24, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gkm24

gkm24 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I have or am in the process of fitting my processor into my Dell GX280 sff. Two things worry me though and I would welcome some rccomendations.
    1. I have read lots about high temperatures and frying the cpu. I would have thought that the fan that comes with the cpu would be up to the job. Can anyone reccommend a fan that would be better than the original, bearing in mind the limited space due to the size of The Delll sff.

2 I also read that the "paste" that transfers the heat from the cpu to the heatsink is crucial. Any reccommendations here?

Finally, how can I monitor the temp to make sure that all is fine, either with my standard Pc set up, or with some software. ( presumably some software would come with an upgraded fan?)

Thanks for reading/advising on my posting. Regards, Graham.

2. batman44

batman44

1) the heat sink and fan you have got will do the job ok.
    2) if you must use paste put a small bit on the cpu (do not put a lot on the cpu)
    3) to see you pc temp and cpu temp boot up you pc and hit (del or f2)
    and look for hardware monitor this will tel you the cpu and pc temp. (y)

cpu should run at 32 pc should run 30.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

SpeedFan Motherboard Monitor will allow you to monitor the temperatures. As far at the temperature, the P4 has excellent thermal limiting, and tests have been run removing the HS totally while it runs, and the processor just slows way down to prevent damage.

4. 4steve44

4steve44

Batman, I don't know how much experience you have with P4's but I run a 2.8Ghz Prescott and the heatsink/fan that came with it was completely inadequate. I had to top it with a Zalman 7000 and put in a 120mm back exhaust and use AS5 to get my idle temp. to 38C :D

5. batman44

batman44

hi 4stev44
    your cpu must run very hot if you need to do that
    are the staned fan and het sink for that psu (crap)
    you tel me you have one........... ;)

6. 4steve44

4steve44

Sorry I am not hip to all the new lingo. Could you say that in english? :eek:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice