Intel 478 VS. 775 socket processors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nvrsummer2

I am looking to upgrade my system with a new motherboard and CPU. I was wondering which of these two processors is better. The 775 seem to be a little cheaper for the same speeds. Thank you for your help.

crjdriver

If you are going to upgrade the board, ram, etc; I would look into going amd64 for a few reasons.

1 The P4 [in whatever socket] is at the end of its life. Any new chips will most likely require a mb change since intel almost never makes chips that will fit existing boards.

2 Heat. The later P4s [Prescott and later] run hot. On the other hand amd64s run cool. Between 28C and 32C under mod load is the norm for the amd64.

3 Noise. Because of the increased heat, you need faster turning fans to exhaust the heat. I dislike computers that sound like a hairdryer.

4 Ability to upgrade. If you go amd64 now, you can upgrade to a dual core chip when they become more affordable [or you can just go dual core now]

Dont get ither. The 775 poc is great but the forcen future of this proc can not continue. Advanced gameing PC's will not use 775 for upgrade reasons and thermal reasons. The other proc will be leaveing as well. If your new at this do some resurch on gameing PC's just to get a feel of where the market is going. Maximum PC Magazine will give you tons of PC to give you an Ideal where the PC world is going. Note: Sounds crazy but check out lanparty mother boards and the bridge speeds on them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts