1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

intel 850 motherboard testing - no case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gahbahj, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gahbahj

gahbahj Thread Starter

i have a couple intel d850mv motherboards made for gateway Lexington desktop (board revision a87987-603), refurbed but never installed (supposedly). http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/2517882/2517882sp37.shtml
    i'm trying to test them (workbench, no case) and cant even get them to post. with just CPU, memory & vid card the board will power up, spin cpu fan, and light the power & diagnostic LEDs when i flip the switch on the back of the PSU (cheiftain 500W fresh from the box) - it doesnt wait for the case connector power switch pins to be shorted like other boards require. the diagnostic LED indicates some MB subsystem failed diagnostics as it stays lit red for the 2-3 minutes i felt safe leaving it powered on. there is no video output from a agp4x MX480E - card tested fine in an AMD system. i'm not able to test kingston 1066 2x256 or toshiba 600 2x64 rambus or 2xCIMMs beyond leaving mem slots empty and getting the familiar 3 beeps, and no beeps when mem is installed. nor do i have another working system to test the P4 478 1.7 256k 400fsb processor. i know this is old stuff, but perhaps someone remembers whether a bad CPU or memory might cause the diagnostic LED on this MB to indicate a failure that's not really on the MB. if no one can say for sure, then i'll try and find another cpu at my leisure to test it out. i'd be glad to read any thoughts or suggestions u may have. thanks for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice