Intel 865 Chipset and nVidia chipset issues?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

Are there any known compatibility issues between the Intel 865 chipset and nVidia-based video cards?

The reason I ask is that after a year or more of running this system, suddenly no AGP video card I put into this system will work unless it's in plain VGA mode (no drivers). As soon as I load its proper driver, the system won't go back into Windows 98 or Windows 2000 (dual-boot system). It just hangs with a lot of gobbeldegook on the screen.

All the AGP cards I have here are nVidia-based cards so I have no other type card to test with.

At present, I'm using an old S3 PCI video card and at least it gets into Windows; but, I'm stumped.

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 board
512 RAM
P4 3000 processor

Alex, I built quite a few systems with Intel D865PERL boards (865PE chipset) and nVidia video cards and never had a problem. My workbench machine right now is running a D865PERL board with a nVidia card with no problems.

Intel released a new chipset driver on 6/04/2007, version 8.3.0.1013 which covered the 865 family, eg. 865G, 865GV, 865P and 865PE.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009241.htm

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...rating+Systems&lang=eng&strOSs=All&submit=Go!

In the release notes under Issues Resolved, item #4 stated; "Some devices were not updating correctly or at all. Fixed in installer."

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/13499/ENG/relnotes.htm

You may want to try that update. The only problem I see with the update is since you are dual booting, the latest update is OK with Win2K, however Win98 is not mentioned in All Operating Systems. To get back to an 865 chipset driver that covered both Win2K and Win98SE you had to go back to the release of 12/16/2004, version 6.3.0.1007 that covered both Win2K and Win98SE.

Other than updating the chipset driver, I am at a loss to suggest a place to start.

Alex Ethridge

Thanks, I downloaded the chipset driver update and there is a change. It does get to Windows 2000. I know this only because I hear the Windows start wave; but, there still is no video. It's just a blank black screen. As it goes through its phases of the boot process and if I turn off the lights in the room, I can see the monitor's screen change shades of near black.

That's about it.

I looked in the BIOS and I see no settings that one could adjust AGP, etc.

Alex Ethridge

Bringing this thread back alive:

I installed a very old 2-Meg Trident PCI video card and it did fine for a couple of weeks while I decided whether I should order a more up-to-date PCI video card. A couple of days ago, I installed a GForce nVidia 5500 that did fine for a couple of days; but, I came into the office this evening to find the problem had returned.

It still boots to Windows (I know only because I hear the sounds.); but, the video dies during the Windows 2000 splash screen.

It's beginning to look like I need to try a non-nVidia chipset.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online