1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

intel chipset software installation utility

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mazzic, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazzic

mazzic Thread Starter

Does anyone know if we are supposed to update "Intel Chipset Sofware Installation Utility" driver on a regular basis?
    Now that I have the SP2 CD, I'd like to do a clean install of XP. I noticed that Gateway(my computer) only has the 4.0 version of the "intel sofware utility" but now Intel's website has version 5.0. Even more confusing Download.com has a version 6.0.

Intel's website say to refer to your computer makers website, but Gateway always seems to be slow updating drivers.

Should I stick with the 4.0 version? Or should I update to the 5.0 version on Intel's wesite.
    ----------------
    A description of "Intel Chipset Sofware Installation Utility": The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility installs Windows INF files to the target system. These files outline to the operating system how to configure the Intel chipset components in order to ensure that the following features function properly: Core PCI and ISAPNP Services, AGP Support, IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support, SATA Storage Support, USB Support, Identification of Intel Chipset Components in the Device Manager.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The chipset software is designed to work with the implementation from the motherboard maker, along with the BIOS. Its likely that they adhere to the standard implementation but you do not know that.

So, you update it when you need to, not just because you can, in a nutshell.

Is it failing in some way that you are considering this? Or do you just want to "keep fixing it until it's broken"? (a common event among computer users)

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Updating chipset drivers can be beneficial. Compaq/HP sometimes even fail to put chipset drivers on their site at all but they recommend installing them when USB devices fail to install or work properly. You should at least install the drivers once. Since most Brand Name systems aren't made for upgrading, the manufacturer's do not do extensive testing or updating of their drivers. However, some updates only add support for New chipsets or very specific problems and do not apply to all users and therefore updates are not required at all.

The final decision is up to you. Personally on a new install I always get the latest drivers available for the hardware and install them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!