1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel D850GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by McGuyver, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. McGuyver

McGuyver Thread Starter

Hello. My question is on Parity. I'm building a new system and when I power up the board, it beeps twice and goes to setup. The manual says "parity cannot be reset". Can anyone explain this to me?

2. redfrost

redfrost

hey mate

2 beeps means parity curcit failure

The parity circuit is responsible for generating and checking the parity bit on the system memory when parity checking is used. This circuitry is not working properly.

This code usually means a problem with either the system memory or the motherboard.

my bet is the memory is dickie

hope that helps

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Mcguyver, Welcome!
    What kind of pc and a bit more info on your system!
    The most common cause of parity errors when first booting up the PC are incorrect configuration or using the wrong type of memory. It is unusual for an actual memory failure, of the type that parity checks for (meaning, you wrote one value into memory and read back another value with a bit changed) to be encountered at the start of booting, although it is possible.
    This usually means several things:
    1) Memory is not seated properly- make sure memory is plugged
    in well and clips are in place.
    2) If you have 2 slots try to see which slot is 1 and 2. Put in one
    chip at a time.This way you can see if chips are bad.
    3) Make sure you have the right memory for your system.

Im by far no expert on memory and parity has me a little confused. But I have put as good an explaination as I can get:

An error detection technique that tests the integrity of digital data within the computer system or over a network. Parity checking uses an extra ninth bit that holds a 0 or 1 depending on the data content of the byte. Each time a byte is transferred or transmitted, the parity bit is tested.

Even parity systems make the parity bit 1 when there is an even number of 1 bits in the byte. Odd parity systems make it 1 when there is an odd number of 1 bits.

There are 12% more memory cells in 9-bit parity memory than there are in 8-bit non-parity memory. To shave costs, many desktop computers are built with non-parity memory; however, sometimes you can choose to use either type.

4. McGuyver

McGuyver Thread Starter

OK. My MB is the D850GB. The CPU is 1.7. I tried the memory in different ways. The MB is RDRAM. I installed two 256/800 in bank 0 and two 64/800 in bank 1. The post screen says I have 640mb but the MB beeps twice. The screen also says my CMOS battery may be low. I checked the voltage and it reads 2.82 volts. When I run the memory buy it self, always in pairs, first the 256's with CRIMMS, then 64's with the CRIMMS. It counts the memory and reports the correct mb but the MB still beeps twice and then the CMOS/GYPV (I'm not sure about the last three letters but I'm sure the G is correct because I'm not near the machine) warning comes up and goes into setup. The MB, CPU, RDRAM are new. The video is Gforce2 400 64. Could it be the MB?

5. deuce

deuce

What do you mean by CRIMMs? Do you mean RIMMS? RDRam is RIMM, SDRam is DIMM, ect. Try booting with the 64s in bank 0 and put the continuity thingys in bank 1 and see what happens? Is all of the ram the same manufacture? Usually shouldn't matter but it could... just covering my bases.

6. McGuyver

McGuyver Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The CRIMMS are the continuity modules. When I put the 64's in bank 0 and the CRIMMs in bank 1 the post screen says 128mb. When I insert the 256's in bank 0 and the CRIMMs in bank 1 the screen says 512mb. When I insert the 64's in bank1 with the 256's in bank 0 the screen says 640mb. Any way I insert the memory the unit beeps twice at boot and gives me the CMOS warning. The memory isn't the same but the pairs are; 2 NEC 256/800 and 2 Samsung 64/800. I'm sorry I'm not in front of the machine so I can't give the exact warning but it is CMOS/GYPV or something like it. I'm sure of the G but not the last three letters. I have the current BIOS installed. I checked the battery voltage and it's at 2.82 volts. Any thoughts? I'll be changing the battery but I don't have one yet.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice