1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel D915GEV desktop motherboard with onboard video won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by siemsp, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. siemsp

siemsp Thread Starter

Helping a friend and I am stumped by an Intel D915GEV desktop motherboard with onboard video, Intel Boxed LGA775 P4 3ghz CPU and 2.5 mb ddr2 ram. System booted into Windows XP then shut down after running 5-10 min. Verified PS fan was not turning.
    • Shutdown system and waited 1 hr before restarting.
    • Verified it still started to boot into XP before I shut down and installed a new Antec 500w power supply.
    • Motherboard LED Light comes on but no response when pushing power switch.
    • Checked switch continuity and it is good.
    • Removed Front panel PWR connector and carefully jumpered with flat blade screw driver. Still nothing except the green MB led is lit.
    • Tried removing all ram and disconnecting everything except CPU power connector and main MB power connector to see if I would get a beep code. Still nothing except yellow Motherboard LED. First time I worked with an Intel Motherboard - always ASUS and am wondering what I am missing?
    • Did the mother board fail due to the bad PS even though I was able to boot to windows before removing the bad PS? I really would appreciate your help.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did you test the power supply with a power supply tester before installing? If not, test the power supply to make sure all voltages are within range and that the Power Good signal is less that 500ms.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This is a dup. of a Solved thread you posted 3 minutes earlier. I'm confused. What's the deal now?

4. siemsp

siemsp Thread Starter

1) I bumped the "Mark Solved" button by mistake and then resubmitted since it is not solved.
    2) I tried 3 different makes and models of high quality supplies and yes they were tested and confirmed within acceptable range on all parameters. For the last test of the motherboard, I unplugged/removed modem and all drives & plugged in only the 4 pin CPU connector and the 24 pin motherboard connector. Switched power on and the yellow/green led on the MB came on but the board would not boot using the power switch or a flat bladed screwdriver to short across pins 7 & 8 on the front panel header with the ps connector unplugged. Is the Motherboard bad or is there another test I can make? Thanks!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For future info, the Solved button changes to Mark Unsolved. :) For now I'm going to delete the other thread. Good luck.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

It doesn't sound like you have the front panel connector pinned out correctly. If this is a standard Intel board the front panel connector is a nine pin connector. The pins on the side that has five pins are numbered 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9. The pins on the side that has four pins are numbered 2, 4, 6 and 8.

Pins 2 & 4 are for the POWER LED, pins 6 & 8 are the POWER ON pins, pins 1 & 3 and the HARD DRIVE ACTIVITY LED pins and pins 5 & 7 are the RESET pins. Pin #9 is not used.

The POWER ON and RESET pins are not polarity specific (the connector can be connected either way). The POWER LED and HARD DRIVE ACTIVITY LED pins are polarity specific. If you get the machine started by shorting pins 6 & 8 when you finish your pinout if the LEDS are not functional turn the connectors 180°.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Attached is an Intel standard front panel pinout.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice