1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel Extreme Graphics 2 VS PCI graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doomsday123, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doomsday123

Doomsday123 Thread Starter

I just picked up an HP dx2000 desktop computer that has the "Intel Extreme Graphics 2" onboard video card. Im trying to play World of Warcraft on the machine and it is a bit jumpy due to what I assume is the graphics card. The system has 1Gb of RAM so I dont believe it has anything to do with the RAM.

My question is, will my system benifit from a PCI graphics card or is the bus too slow for PCI to show any type of improvement? The only reason I say PCI is because the system does not have an AGP slot.

Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. Jones

Jones

4. Doomsday123

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that the PCI card would out perform the onboard video so that I was not waisting my money. I will probably go with a 128MB GeForce 5200 for about $35 or maybe the step up for just a bit more.

Thanks again!

5. Jones

Jones

No prob.

The thing about on-board video is that it drains power from other areas in your computer to produce things that can be more effectively done by an add-in card, and therefore both the graphics capability and the general system capability both suffer as a result.

Onboard video uses system RAM in order to work, which takes your 1gb of RAM down to 768 or less, depending on how much is assigned to graphics.

By using an add-in video card with it's own GPU and on-card memory, all the graphics work is unloaded from your system RAM and processor, so everything works just that much better.

6. Doomsday123

One more question.

FX 5200

VS

FX 5500

Will I see a improvment over the 5200 for the extra $5? I see that the 5500 has a bit faster core clock speed but what does the 400Mhz(effective) vs the 400Mhz mean on the memory clock?

HERE is the comparison

Thanks.

7. Jones

Jones

For an extra $5, get the 5500. It will be ever-so-slightly better, but for $5 it's worth it.

The 'effective' basically means that it's DDR memory at 200mhz. DDR = dual data rate = 200mhz x 2 = 400mhz effective data rate. This applies to the 5500 as well, even though it doesn't say 'effective' in the description.

8. Doomsday123

Thanks for the great help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice