Solved Intel HD Driver Causing Slow/Unresponsive Display

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shosta

Earlier this week Windows Update downloaded and installed the latest version of my graphics card driver (Intel HD Graphics 630 version 22.20.16.4718), among other "critical" systems updates (2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems - KB4038788), while my computer was sitting idle for a few hours. When I returned, the log-in screen came up as normal, but once I logged in the screen went black. I could still see my cursor, and pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete brought up the usual Task Manager and account options, but I couldn't see or interact with any of the items on my desktop. It was then that I thought to check my update history and see that, sure enough, a bunch of new things had been installed without my knowledge.

I restored my system to before the update and then downloaded the graphics driver straight from HP's website and tried it again. The problem reoccurred, although this time my computer had deleted all my previous System Restore Points so I couldn't roll back again. I fiddled with the display settings in Safe Mode and regular mode for hours (Display comes up as normal in Safe Mode, so it definitely has to be a software issue), deleted the driver, then waited for the computer to recognize that it was missing and reinstall it, but nothing happened. Finally, out of nowhere, the screen came back on and I check the specs to see that, sure enough, the latest Intel driver had been installed again. I used the computer like normal with no issues, and then I shut the computer off when I was done. When I booted the system up again the next day — another blank screen, and another long wait for the desktop to finally show up on its own. I'm not sure what's going on, but I shouldn't have to wait 10 minutes for my desktop to show up once I log in. Any feedback is appreciated.

Specs:
HP ENVY Desktop Intel Core i5 12GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Hard Drive Blacksilver
OS: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit (version 1703, OS Build 15063.608)
Model: 750-514
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 12187 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 118 GB (41 GB Free); D: 920 GB (864 GB Free); E: 10 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 82F1
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

managed

Allan
Try the fix in the video, please let me know how it goes :-

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Windows Update downloaded and installed the latest version of my graphics card driver (Intel HD Graphics 630 version 22.20.16.4718)
The most current Windows 10 64-bit driver for the Intel HD Graphics 630 integrated graphic device is 22.20.16.4771
HP ENVY Desktop
What's the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on yours?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shosta

The most current Windows 10 64-bit driver for the Intel HD Graphics 630 integrated graphic device is 22.20.16.4771

What's the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on yours?

Product number is Z5M38AA#ABA and serial number is 4CE7201XTZ. I will install the driver you linked to now and see if that changes anything. :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Product number is Z5M38AA#ABA and serial number is 4CE7201XTZ
You have THIS HP ENVY 750-514 Desktop PC which came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
It was purchased in July 2017 and still has almost 10 months left on its warranty.
You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

The Intel graphic driver listed for it for Windows 10 64-bit is version 21.20.16.4526 and is dated November 2016.
That's why the Windows Update function for Windows 10 64-bit installed version 22.20.16.4718.

They are ways to take control of Windows 10 64-bit updates, but you need to know what you're doing, and it involves a registry tweak and the use of a third-party tool.
It's also easier to do with the "Pro" version instead of the "Home" version of Windows 10 64-bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Shosta

Try the fix in the video, please let me know how it goes :-

My computer doesn't allow me to modify resolution while it's in Safe Mode — that area is grayed out. :( It's currently at the highest (and recommended) setting, if that matters.

Shosta

You have THIS HP ENVY 750-514 Desktop PC which came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
It was purchased in July 2017 and still has almost 10 months left on its warranty.
You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

The Intel graphic driver listed for it for Windows 10 64-bit is version 21.20.16.4526 and is dated November 2016.
That's why the Windows Update function for Windows 10 64-bit installed version 22.20.16.4718.

They are ways to take control of Windows 10 64-bit updates, but you need to know what you're doing, and it involves a registry tweak and the use of a third-party tool.
It's also easier to do with the "Pro" version instead of the "Home" version of Windows 10 64-bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------
That's good to know — thank you. When I downloaded and attempted to install the driver you linked to, I got a prompt that said it was not validated for my system and the process terminated, which I suppose makes sense if Windows Update doesn't recognize it. Would you recommend trying to circumvent that, or is there something else I could try? I came across this video:
that suggests a workaround by using the Device Manager, but I want to make sure I don't break anything.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That video is over 12 minutes long and is difficult for me to hear clearly, so I didn't watch more than the first 2 minutes of it.
He also searches for Intel drivers in a different manner than I do.

If your HP desktop won't accept the Intel driver that I linked you to in post #3, then disregard trying to install it.

The motherboard in your HP desktop has a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot for adding a graphic card.
You might consider doing that to replace its Intel integrated graphics.
Just make sure it's a single-width one that doesn't use a lot of power.

managed

Allan
When it's working ok in normal mode try the steps after 2:00 minutes in the Video I linked to in post #2.

Shosta

I ended up speaking with HP Support about this, and apparently it was caused by a Windows Update conflict and not the driver itself. The support technician was able to fix it remotely, but thank you both for your help. :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome.
Glad you got it resolved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online