Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intel Integrated GPU-VRAM-Dedicated Size

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  OGxGatman 
#1 ·
System Model Inspiron 7586
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.8 GB

Name Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 59 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32
**Adapter Information**
Chip Type: Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family
DAC Type: Internal
Adapter String: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
Bios Information: Intel Video BIOS

Total Available Graphics Memory: 8207 MB
**Dedicated Video Memory: 128 MB** (my question in large deals with this value specifically)
System Video Memory: 0 MB
Shared System Memory: 8079 MB
(Note: In task manager under Performance tab while viewing "GPU" it has <shared GPU memory "xx/7.9GB"> & <GPU memory "xx/7.9GB">

What I want to know is,
do I need to adjust the dedicated GPU memory?

Why?
My system originally had 8GB of RAM but I've upgraded it to 16GB and from what I can tell it appears that it still is under the impression that I only have 8GB so in my mind I need to adjust something in order for the system to start properly taking advantage of what's available.
Yes, the Intel UHD Graphics family dynamically sets this value for half of the total RAM available.
However, the values for "Shared GPU Memory & GPU Memory" while viewed from the Task Manager have always displayed "xx.xx / 7.9 GB" even before upgrading from 8GB to 16GB RAM.

(I know that at times the information viewed in Task Manager is not as straight forward as some believe it to be, so maybe this is one of those instances and I'm not understanding something fundamental to the system that is happening here?)

Based on?
Before upgrading to 16GB of RAM when I viewed task manager my system was using a lot more of what is displayed in Task manager, by this I mean the values that displayed for GPU shared and GPU memory had larger portions consistently being used as to now where a smaller amount is shown as the constant.
[Example: while just running browser+cpu.Z+tskmnger displays: GPU Shared Mem: 0.3 / 7.9 GB - GPU Mem: 0.3 / 7.9 GB - Utilization 1%]

And utilization use to be constantly running at 100% during gaming as to now it doesn't run at 100% all the time now but when it does hit 100% I get gigantic lag spikes. Almost as if it's refreshing/dumping.
Also, from what I've been able to research the recommended dedicated GPU should be much higher especially for 16GB of RAM. The information on this is widely varying which brings me to my hesitation to make any changes hence being here.

Additional Info?
For Intel UHD Integrated graphics based on Intel Pinning, SpeedShift, Turbo and other intel system capabilities it is said that a SMALLER dedicated GPU memory size is actually better because of how the technology works, with a recommend 128MB & 250MB (UHD & HD) as the values dedicated for GPU Dedicated Memory Size.
Simply put, the UHD integrated graphics dynamically allocates VRAM as necessary, capable of adjusting further than my personal system will allow because of RAM limitations.
However, VRAM is much faster than System RAM is it not? So would a slightly larger dedicated GPU size help at all?

And finally,
I understand that if I do need to make any adjustment, which I'm thinking isn't actually necessary but being I'm still learning doesn't hurt to have others voice their views, that if I need to make any adjustment the performance increase will be minimal. My goal is to increase performance in gaming. I again understand that this laptop is not made for gaming and that I would be better off upgrading. Being that is not an option as of now, I look to increase performance in any small way possible of which I've gotten a gigantic improvement in gaming quality as I make all these small changes to actually running at a constant 45-60FPS with no lag at all-up from 15-20FPS consistent lag.
This issue of my GPU hitting 100% utilization, freezing, and coming back, is a problem only starting a few days ago of which I don't know what started the problem but I have a few ideas which I'm in process of eliminating and identifying.

This question about my GPU has been on my mind for a while so I figured I would explore possibilities.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post & additional thanks to those who reply.

See less See more
#4 ·
Please do the following in that computer:

Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about that computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

-------------------------------------------------
Sorry I was in middle of reinstalling my OS for a fresh environment, was getting to a point where I could make a back up IMG and restore point totally distracted me from fact I had posted.

Here's the info you requested;
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210510024021.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 11, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: B: 756 GB (480 GB Free); C: 219 GB (170 GB Free); F: 313 GB (305 GB Free); G: 152 GB (152 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0M3GCF, ver A00, s/n /BGZRGT2/CNWSC0094U008F/
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n BGZRGT2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

(You can ignore Drives F:\ + G:\ as they normally are not attached and are only currently attached for moving stuff around)

#5 ·
Doing a clean re-install of Windows 10 and getting a fresh start is sometimes needed and can resolve a host of issues.
Your log shows that you re-installed Windows 10 yesterday.

You log shows that you have THIS Dell Inspiron 7586 2-in 1.

Its support site shows that it came with 8 GB of DDR4-2666 MHz RAM, but your log shows that it now has 16 GB, so another 8 GB has been added to it - as you stated in post #1.

Its support site doesn't show it having a dedicated graphics device, so it's using its integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620 graphics device.
It will have a certain amount of dedicated video memory and will also be using a certain amount of shared system memory.
You can determine the amount of both by looking inside the properties window of the display adapter.

You may be able to increase the amount of dedicated video memory by making a setting change in the registry, but there's no guarantee that it'll work.
If it does work, and you later update the graphics driver, you'll need to repeat the process.
Load the registry editor, then click Edit - Find.
Type IncreaseFixedSegment (exactly as you see it here) in the box, then click Find Next.
Wait for the scanning registry to finish.
Right-click on the entry in the right pane that has the same name, then click Modify.
Change the number 0 to the number 1, then click OK.
Close the registry editor, then restart the Dell.
Go back into the properties window of the display adapter and see if the amount of dedicated video memory has increased.

--------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
Doing a clean re-install of Windows 10 and getting a fresh start is sometimes needed and can resolve a host of issues.
Your log shows that you re-installed Windows 10 yesterday.

-----------

You may be able to increase the amount of dedicated video memory by making a setting change in the registry, but there's no guarantee that it'll work.
If it does work, and you later update the graphics driver, you'll need to repeat the process.
Load the registry editor, then click Edit - Find.

--------------------------------------------------
Yea, the improvement from the OS reinstall has been noticeable.

A fresh-clean OS...
...is a Happy OS

Things are running more smoothly, with less of these occurrences happening.

However, I'm still getting the occasional in-game stutter, where everything comes to a lagging freeze - purely during intensive PvP encounters where lots of things are happening - but it'll just randomly come to a complete freeze, the game will go to

Then the game pulls back up within 1-5seconds.
It's never completely terminated the task, it continues to run the program without "Ending Process" and when it comes back it normally runs just fine - for a bit.

Since the re-install it's having these "lag-Spikes" significantly less, even going as far as 3-5 days without it happening at all-while in heavy use. Then it'll randomly hit. I experienced it for the first time yesterday, again, while doing PvP.

I've got all background apps blocked from running, automatic updating/background updates stopped while I play.
I've stopped all unnecessary operations/features/system tasks/etc. to avoid wasting any memory or resources.
I've done this with great care, avoiding critical system operations and tasks.

Also, I am already aware of how to modify my system REG+Other in order to change the dedicated VRAM size.
But I do appreciate that you took the time to look into and relay said info for me,
thank you.

However,
Back to my original question -
My confusion is with weather or not...
allocating More or Less Memory to my "Dedicated VRAM Memory" would be a positive or a negative.
Current Dedicated VRAM Memory: 128MB

1: SO....
I have learned that because of all the other things working in conjunction with this family of GPU that having a bigger dedicated memory is actually not ideal. With the most obvious of reasoning being that with Integrated GPU it shares memory with my RAM, meaning more GPU Dedicated Mem. = Less RAM Mem.

2: BUT....
There is a "standard" allocation size for Integrated GPU's VRAM...
(Intel has improved their GPU's in unique ways but from what I could find recommend 128/250)
Just as there is a standard/minimum recommended allocation sizes for dedicated GPU's;
[System RAM] [Recom. VRAM]
4GB 515MB VRAM
6GB 1024MB VRAM
16GB 4092MB VRAM

3. AND....
The amount of Shared Mem & GPU Memory were the same as they are now before I upgraded to 16GB of RAM. How does that make sense?

4. FINALLY....
I would be fine walking away from this problem except that the Dedicated Video Memory is 128MB. And I've found information indicating that it should actually be more than that for a 16GB RAM system.
Including some very unclear back & forth descriptions from Intel themselves.
Which is why I seek someone who may be able to give me a recommendation and explain why that happens to be the better choice.

One last thing, based on Intel's technology with the "Computing Improvement Program" along with "Turbo Boost" as well as "SpeedShift" & "EnhancedSpeedStep"
All these technologies work with each other eliminating the requirement of Dedicated Video Memory being a large size in cases where the PC is using a Integrated GPU system. In fact it benefits from being a smaller size, but not TOO SMALL.

So, what do you think I should do,
do I increase the size to the recommended 4092MB VRAM for a 16GB System RAM OS
- or not -
because of the technologies that Intel has at work.
Or maybe go with a different allocation size altogether?

Too anyone who is taking the time to read & respond,
I'm currently studying to be a computer scientist and I've got a long ways to go still. This area of C.S won't be in any text book or class (well maybe if you end up working for Intel) but that doesn't stop me from wanting to have a clear understanding of everything at play here.
So it's more than just my desire to get a small computer improvement.

Thank you, I appreciate additional explanation onto this problem that someone may give.

#8 ·
First you need to understand something; onchip video [even the amd onchip which is superior to intel's] is NOT intended for gaming. Onchip video is intended for general use ie running office, email, etc. When you use a component in a manner for which it was not designed, you are seldom satisfied with the result.

As for whether or not you should increase the video memory, it is generally best to let windows manage the video memory. You have dedicated memory and available memory which means the operating system can use that memory IF needed.

If this were me and I wanted to use the system for gaming, I would install a real video card. Up to you.

#9 ·
As I addressed originally, I don't currently have the means to be able to install a dedicated graphics card and if i were going to do that I would just go the way of the desktop, being that installing a dedicated graphics unit to a laptop is well... not practical to say the least.

I'm not "unhappy" or unsatisfied I'm actually quite happy with what I've been able to achieve gaming wise on my laptop. I figured I would get absolute bottom of the line performance and I've actually managed to get excellent performance, no lag, no problems, everything has been awesome. Especially since initially going in I figured I'd get on, get upset that the laptop couldn't hack it, move on, but nope.

I've been gaming on this laptop for about 6 months and only has this NEW problem of the occasional lag spike risen just recently, within the last 2 weeks.

And as I already said, the question is about MORE THAN just a performance increase it's about my desire to understand the fundamentals of the technology in use. That more than anything is my biggest hope of what I would get out of the original posting.

Your opinion on my not-to-par gaming station doesn't get me any closer to that, what a way to choose to respond as well.
Please, if you have insight I'm all ears.
If not though, why bother with the post? I addressed what you replied about in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.