1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel MB USB port question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AngierNC, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AngierNC

AngierNC Thread Starter

Combed the Intel site and my MB guide, but no answer to this. I have an Intel DG965WH MB that has 6 rear panel USB ports and two additional connectors on the MB. Device manager shows two enhanced USB2 controllers and the documentation talks about a USB A and USB B ports. Now, here's the problem: yesterday I plugged in a new Kingston thumb drive that works on USB2 only and found it would not work. Worked fine in my notebook PC. I understand the problem of USB 1 and USB 2 devices on the same system, so unplugged my other USB devices until I found a couple that were inhibiting the USB 2 operation and left them unplugged. Then, the USB 2 thumb drive worked just fine.

Since the documentation says there is a USB A and USB B port on this MB, shouldn't I be able to run USB 1 devices on one of the ports and USB 2 devices on the other without them being slowed down to USB 1 speed (or not working at all in the case of the USB 2 only thumb drive) ? If so, is there any way to tell which ports are working off of which USB adapter? The documentation doesn't say whether all 6 rear panel ports are on the same USB controller.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

I've built several systems with the 965WH board and haven't encountered any problems such as you are having.

Need some specifics on your system: What is your BIOS version? What processor are you using? What is the EXACT make and model of your power supply (please post a link to the power supply page)? What video card are you using? After you built your system did you install the latest Intel chipset drivers?

3. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Yes. The two different controllers should be able to keep everything separate.

If the documentation does not distinguish which are 1.0/1.1 and 2.0, then it's pretty much a trial & error approach you will need to take (plug a 2.0 device into each of the ports then wait and see if a bubble pops up on the system tray saying the device could run faster if a 2.0 port was used). However, more often than not, the rear ports are generally 1.0/1.1 and the front ports are the 2.0's.

4. AngierNC

AngierNC Thread Starter

BIOS is the 6/17/08 level - I currently have no way of seeing what the exact level is without rebooting. Processor is Intel Pentium D dual core 2.8 GHz, again, no way of identifying the exact processor at this time. Power supply is Antec TPII 430 - link to description: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=22430

Latest chipset drivers are installed. Video card is Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

All the USB ports on that board are 2.0 Although this sounds like a power issue since you can unplug a couple of devices and the flash drive works. Let's try the easiest possible fix 1st.

First disconnect all USB devices connected to the machine. Next go into Device Manager, click on the + mark next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. A drop down menu will open showing you all of your controllers and root hubs. Right click on everything listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and click on uninstall. Go all the way down the list until everything is uninstalled.

After everything is uninstalled, reboot the machine and Windows should reinstall all the USB drivers.

After all the drivers are reinstalled, see if the problem still exists.

6. AngierNC

AngierNC Thread Starter

OK - finally got this resolved. Both of the USB controllers are, as you said, both USB 2 capable. It turns out that all of the 6 ports on the rear panel are connected to one of the USB controllers. The USB port on the front of the machine is plugged into a header on the MB, and it turns out that it was plugged into that same USB controller. I moved the cable to the second header, putting the front USB port on the other controller. Now I can have my 3 or 4 devices that run only at USB 1 speed on one controller and the USB 2 only device on the other controller and all works well.

Odd that this Kingston thumb drive works ONLY on USB 2. If I plug it in and then plug a USB 1 device into the same controller, the thumb drive disappears from the list of drives and can't be accessed. I have another USB 2 thumb drive, but it's an old one that also works on USB 1 and so never ran into the problem before.

I did use the SysSpec program to look at the devices suspected to be USB 1 and it identified them as such. Thanks to all who commented on this question.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice