1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Intel Optane card on a Gigabyte Z390 Aurus Pro Wifi mITX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chrisb8154, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chrisb8154

Chrisb8154 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chris
    Hi,
    I am building my first PC, so I am not very familiar with computer jargon, especially with the owners manual that comes with this motherboard. It comes with two M.2 connectors... one located on the top called M.2P and the other one on the bottom called M2M

I have the following memory items for the build.

1. Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe Card, that I have installed on the M.2P connector on the top of the board under the heat sink that I want to use as my main (C)? drive.

(Cut from owners book)
    " M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA and PCIe
    x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P)"
    2. 16Gb Intel Optane card that I guess can fit in the second M.2M connector on the bottom of the board? To help speed up the SATA drives??

3. A Samsung 860QVO Series 1TB 2.5" SATA Internal SSD 550MB/S for a second storage drive.

It does not come with the Intel Optane Memory as standard from what I can work out, so I bought the card, which was around $50AUD.

I have cut and pasted some info from the owners book about the storage.

Storage Interface Š Š Chipset:
    - 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA and PCIe
    x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P)
    - 1 x M.2 connector on the back of the motherboard (Socket 3, M key, type
    2260/2280 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2M)
    - 4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
    - Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
    * Refer to "1-7 Internal Connectors," for the installation notices for the M.2 and SATA connectors.
    Š Š Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready​

So if somebody is familiar with this can they reply, I guess I am asking about if the Optane card will go into the second M.2 connector(The card has not arrived yet, the connectors look different to the samsung.) aa.jpg upload_2019-3-31_9-39-45.jpeg thanks.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    According to P.45 in the manual :-
    The Optane memory card will fit into either M2 socket but you would have to use it to speed up the 2.5" SSD.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Honestly I would not worry about installing optane memory. The samsung nvme drive is going to be more than fast enough. In addition, there is a bios update for your board to support optane memory so without the update, it may or may not work correctly [with the optane memory]

While gigabyte boards are almost idiot proof for bios updates [because of the dual bios] If an update is not necessary, it is best to leave it alone.
    Here is a link to the support page for your board;
    https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#sp
    Download the drivers you will need from this link. Generally the support disk that comes with a motherboard has out of date drivers/utilities. Best to use the latest ones on the support page.

4. Chrisb8154

First Name:
    Chris
    thanks for the replies, as I have bought the optane memory already, I may will use it. I guess it fits into the bottom M.2 slot. It sounds like it won't do too much, I might try to sell it on ebay. I don't know if it is going to make any difference to my SATA SSD. Thanks again

5. Chrisb8154

First Name:
    Chris
    thanks I will refer to that. Cheers

6. Chrisb8154

First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for your reply, I will need to educate myself some more to do the BIOS stuff, I can screw stuff together no worries!

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's screwing stuff up that causes the problems. ;)

Chrisb8154 likes this.
  8. Chrisb8154

First Name:
    Chris
    :)Yes, just ask my surgeon!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice