1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel P55 BIOS RAID 0 - any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

does anyone know how BIOS RAID 0 performs?
    - specifically on Gigabytes new P55 boards...

the manual has instructions to setup calling RAID 0 performance... if it were crap why would they bother?

people keep saying you need decent RAID cards ... but surely this BIOS option must be decent or they wouldnt bother... also these motherboards have new XHD feature which is related to RAID (boosting hard-drive speed)

thanks

2. bigbear

bigbear

IMO Raid of any flavour has no real gain for the home user.
    Raid 0 is the worst of the lot as it has no redundancy, I feel it just a waste of a good storage drive.

3. chazshep

chazshep

Too much input for too little output, but RAID nonetheless, isn't usually done through the BIOS, but through installing RAID drivers and using a RAID controller program to reformat the drives to whichever setup you choose. I'm sure a more RAID-knowledgeable person may come along to help.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

IMO onboard raid is useless. If you really really must have raid, then buy a real raid card.

Just think about it for a min or two. A quality raid card will cost as much or more than your mb. What kind of performance do you think you will get with onboard raid???

Next issue. What happens in two or three years when your mb fails and that board is no longer available? Your onboard array is now gone AND all data that was on the array. With a real raid card, that is not the case. Simply install a new board and install windows. Install your raid card and drivers; connect the drives and your data is there.

5. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

EXCELLENT POINT! - see ive never done RAID but always fancied it -regardless of cost....

what I know is that a decent raid card will cost about £60-£90..? and the performance gain is around 30%-40% for 2 drives in RAID 0 - I would be happy with that... then, you get more performance the more drives you add - and also increasing block size to 128Kb helps aswell - from one persons benchmarks increasin block to 128k made one hell of a difference...

people go on and on about backup/redundancy but I would be quite happy with that as I would have any sensitive stuff one a seperate non-RAIDed drive as back up - I also keep photos , music and files on USB and disc...

so I just wanted to know how the new Gigabyte XHD or intel P55 RAID 0 faired up against using a decent raid card...

someone on eBuyer put 2 samsung 1Tb drives (114MB/s avg) in RAID 0 with 128k block size and got 237MB/s avg.... thats one hell of a gain... and why I asked....

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Real world NOT benchmark performance gain is 20~30% with raid0 AND you have twice the chance of drive failure.

I have no problem if people want raid0 or 1 or whatever. I just try and convince them that if they want raid, then pay the money and buy a real raid controller. Usually they stop once they find out a quality raid card is $150 or so.

7. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

yeah, thats the general opinion of most people... for those who have the money and willing to pay such a cost for small gain and twice or thrice risk of failure...

I will one day do it as Ive always wanted to... when money is no object I will stick 3 SSD's in RAID 0 ...now that WOULD be some performance gain and less failure risk

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW raid was more popular a few years ago when hard drive performance was not as good as it is today. A modern 32meg cache drive with dual processors will outperform a raptor drive. [Not the newest velociraptor]

I have a 150gig raptor drive I use as a system drive in my own system. I also have a WD 750gig for storage, backups, etc. The 750 outperforms the raptor drive on benchmarks.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

?????
    I've been thinking about one of These for my OS System Drive.
    Are you saying it won't be much better than my Current Drives .. (In a raid JBOD config ???)

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, the velociraptor will perform better. I have the older sata 1 1.5gig raptor and my WD 750 will actually bench faster.

The one good thing about even the older raptors is that they are enterprise level drives and they are almost bullet proof.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I hope Paulb100 doesn't mind me hijacking his question .. (I think it was answered already)
    But I think there's better ways to Improve Performance, Reliability and Recovery .. besides Raid.

Since I asked .... I've been trying to find velociraptor benchmarks.
    What I've found so far ... It's only slightly better that the WD Black Series ...
    and probably not worth the cost ??? .. But I'm still looking.

The 640GB WD Blacks sure beat the 320GB WD Blues ... that I've just replaced.

Attached Files:

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Even the modern raptor is not worth the cost per gig when you compare it to the Black series. IMO the only real reason to own/buy a raptor now is because of the quality of the drive. They are almost indestructible.

The very slight performance increase over a black 640 or 750 is just not worth the cost.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Thanks.
    Since Widows 7 is such a disappointment .. I was looking for something constructive to do.
    Guess I'll keep looking.
    Not sure I want to head the SSD route ... The write problems bother me .. From what I read.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Maybe in a year or two SSDs will mature and give good performance.

FWIW a number of our pilots carry netbooks with them. These come with both ssd type drives or a regular hard disk. From what I have seen the only real benefit to the ssd is the decreased pw draw. They can go quite a bit longer between battery charging with a ssd over a regular hard disk. Other than that and a slight speed advantage, there is no real advantage yet.

Maybe in another year.....

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Do they have Warning software that tells them to look 15 minutes behind them for their destination ...
    [​IMG]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/892724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice