1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel Pentium 4 vs Intel Celeron D 330

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ppls1000, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

im looking at a
    Intel® Pentium® 4 2.6Ghz / 512K Cache / 400MHz FSB / Socket 478 / Processor for $159.99
    and a
    Intel Celeron D 330 2.66Ghz / 256K Cache / 533 FSB / Socket 478 / Processor for $79.99
    and was wondering if there is a difference between celeron and pentium. And why is the price so different. All i want is a computer to do basic things like internet, microsoft Word, works, and basic things like that. I wont be using it for gaming or anything so i dont need anything extremly fast. Should i just go with the celeron D? Ill be running Win 2000 and have 256 PC3200 DDR RAM if that helps at all.

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

If you are just going to use for basic uses that doesnt involve alot of cpu number crunching. I would save your money and go with the celeron.

Plain and simple......

3. RSM123

RSM123

4. WingOfPain

WingOfPain

I would suggests neither, and go with an AMD.

5. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

does anyone else think i should go AMD? i personally dont care. just something like under $100

6. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

actually i tihnk im going to go with the intel because the motherboard im getting is intel and i already have a computer like the one i want.

7. Arcadion

Arcadion

The P4 is a faster processor, but the Celeron is plenty fast enough for what you want to do. You can always upgrade to a faster processor once they come down in price later, if you want to.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If price is an issue then go with a Celeron, but I wouldn't recommend it for gaming or for number crunching applications and if thats not what you plan on using it for then by all means save yourself the money.

On the other hand the Pentium 4 you have listed is the older style. It's only got a 400Mhz FSB versus the 533 and the now 800MHz versions. The Celeron should do well against it for a much lower price.

The difference between the Celerons and Pentiums of the same generation are the cache sizes, FSB speed, and features(like Hyperthreading) P4's always have more cache and a faster frontside bus then their Celeron counter parts and as a result offer better performance.

9. WingOfPain

WingOfPain

I would not recomment a Celeron to anyone. They are junk. They work for word procesing but that is about it. If you have an Intel board, you can still go with AMD, they are cheaper, and more reliable that the P4s in my experiances. All around they are just better. Anyone you talk to will tell you that AMP XPs are wonderful. Pentium 4s are in 2nd, and Celerons are not even on the same playing field. In the long run you will be payin less for a better CPU if you go with the AMD. I guess I should not say in the long run, you will pay less right out of the gate, and get more enjoyment out of it. Take a look at price, and see what you want to spend, then compare the price of a P4 to an AMD xp (athlon, etc) and see what you would be interested in. The only reason Pentiums are high priced is because of the name. Kinda like Fender guitars..... They were the best in the day, build a name, then compromised their quality. Hope this is not too much for you.

David

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "If you have an Intel board, you can still go with AMD" How? You'd need a different motherboard.

11. sle

sle

My 2 cents -- for what you're doing, go with the Celeron. I'm AMD prejudiced, too - have one at home - and was sooo irritated when I inherited an old Celeron at work. The thing was great, much to my consternation. No problems having web, email, media player, and several office apps open and running at the same time. So if you won't be doing anything like heavy graphics (Photoshop, etc.) or computer games, save yourself the money. You can always upgrade later.

12. SacsTC

SacsTC

"If you have an Intel board, you can still go with AMD"

Better stick with being an undertaker because if you think you can use AMD and Intel together, you definitely don't know anything about computers.

13. ohgrant

ohgrant

Go with the Celeron, my old pc was a compaq 7585 with a 466mgz celeron I had a pci 9200 and played most quake3 era and dx 5-8.1 games with no problem.It was great for internet and office xp use.

14. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your help. I ended up going with the celeron because i will never use it for games or anything like that and its cheaper then the others. But for future computers i may buy your info will help.

15. Arcadion

Arcadion

Excuse me, this is not the year 1997. That hasn't been true since Socket 7 and the Pentium 233 MMX.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/304516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice