1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel Pentium D 805 2.66Ghz Intel Board D945PVS sounds a Siren then shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KimmyMarie, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KimmyMarie

KimmyMarie Thread Starter

Hello,

I bought a computer on eBay with 1 Gig of ram and an Intel Pentium D 805 2.66Ghz processor. It had an AsRock board and when I first attempted to use it which was about 6 weeks after I bout it, it seemed to overheat because it would just shut down and stop on me. At that point I decided to upgrade the board to an Intel D945PVS, once the new board arrived I was excited but cautious, I made sure to use an anti static wristband and I installed the Board/RAM/CPU/heat sink & fan/ e-GeForce 6200 Video card and the hard drives. But almost as soon as I plugged it in I heard a siren sound coming from the board and then the computer shut off. I have attempted a few times to restart it but it continues to follow the same pattern of sounding a siren and shutting down.

I’m not sure what to do at this point, I’ve contacted Intel customer support through their website but that was no help. I know that the Desktop Boards product guide state that the Siren sound is for CPU Overheat (on reboot) but I don’t know what I can do to correct the issue. I have purchased some new thermal CPU Heat Sink compound and thoroughly cleaned the old compound away and the fan is properly positioned and operating as it appears it should.

I did notice some slight discoloration on the CPU over some of the pins (sort of like a slight darkening). Can anyone share their ideas regarding what could be the reason for this?

Thanks,
    Kimmy

2. brite750

brite750

my guess it that the cpu is fried, the 805D was a favorite cpu for folks to overclock the crap out of, and since you bought off ebay:eek:

3. KimmyMarie

I guess I should start shopping for a new processor huh?

Best wishes,
    Kimmy

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah sounds like someone slopped cpu grease over the cpu and then fried it and sold it on ebay...I would go after the seller.

5. idowindows

idowindows

If you have a local cpu vendor, see if they can test it for free or if they charge, talk them into crediting you towards a new purchase if yours is indeed fried...

I used to have a small shop nearby (I moved) that the guy would do all kinds of tests and diagnostics and what not totall free, courtesy - that plus good prices is what brings customers back...

Keep us posted..

:cool:

6. KimmyMarie

I would but the seller was so polite that (like a fool) I left them positive feedback before I even plugged the computer in. I guess this has taught me a lesson regarding eBay.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will try to find a local vendor, at least that would let me know for sure if my CPU is dead or not.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what style of socket 775 Pentium I should purchase? This is my current board Intel D945PVS.

Best wishes,
    Kimmy

7. brzs4life

brzs4life

ok if its not fried try by doing this remove power cord from back of pc and then wait 30 sec and back on restart if goes bios and on set up try to check ur cpu status if it freezes b4 that then i dont know maybe get a new processor.
    but please dont make the mistake i made no thermal paste MAKE SURE U HAVE IT OVER THE PROCESSOR.
    i dont know if it helped..
    good luck

8. KimmyMarie

I tried this but I heard an immediate siren sound and the computer quickly shut off completely again.

BTW, I do have the Thermal paste between the CPU and heat sink and I spent about 30 minutes applying it because I didn’t want to make a mistake, so I followed the instructions well by applying a thin layer and I moved the heat sink gently and slightly to remove any air gap.

Best wishes,
    Kimmy

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here is a list of the supported processors for the D945PVS board.

If you are interested in a Pentium D 960, 950, 945 or 925 please read the notations under the sSpec number.

Also note that with any of the processors it MAY be necessary to update the BIOS. With Intel boards the Express BIOS update is very easy.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/vs/vs_proc.htm

10. KimmyMarie

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,
    Kimmy

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Don't let that stop you I have done it many times where I inadvertently left feedback too soon and then discovered a problem. You can email them, then if they do not respond do a dispute at Paypal. feedback or not, just note you discovered this afterwards if it ever comes up.
    If you did not use Paypal, and shame on you that is where they really come in handy, then do an eBay dispute....

12. brite750

brite750

ebay scares me a bit, now it scares me even more knowing that half of those positives are probably folks just like you who responded too soon, great.
    I'm not going to be that surprised if your cpu is fried, there was a lot of buzz on the internet about the D805 being very cheap and very overclockable, so I'm sure there was a rush of pimply-faced, pablum-puking, prepubescents out there that were cranking up their FSB's to hither-to unforeseen speeds only to hear a small popping noise and a puff of smoke.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Brite,
    My feedback is 915, and I have never lost on anything....

14. brite750

brite750

only bought a few things from ebay, but they were ok, its seems like a crap shoot though

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/522086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice