1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel Pentium D vs Intel Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lightingman2003, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lightingman2003

Lightingman2003 Thread Starter

Im looking to make the jump to Windows Vista Home Premium and am looking at my hardware specs making sure i can run Vista without any issues.

My current spec:
    Asus P5P800-VM Motherboard
    2GB RAM
    Intel Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz Processor
    160GB Sata3 HDD.

The main thing im worried about is my processor. Will it cope with Windows Vista?

Failing that, what is the actual difference between the Pentium D & Core 2 Duo, namely the E4600. Is that processor actually 2 Cores running at 2.4Ghz each or 2 Cores but 1.2Ghz each? Or, how easy is it to get the Pentium D 820 overclockd to 3.0Ghz or 3.2Ghz?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

3. Lightingman2003

Lightingman2003 Thread Starter

Damn. Thanks for pointing that out Win2kPro.

Do you know much about over-clocking. Is it recomended? Or if there are any new CPU's that are still compatible with my Mobo?

Thanks again Win2kPro.

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Your current specs should run Vista ok.

You could upgrade the CPU up to a Pentium D 960 3.6ghz and the ram to 4gb, but I wouldn't waste my money on old technology.

Just save up and do a full upgrade in several months to a year.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Vista won't run all that bad on that system as it is, but sure it would much better on a newer system. The problem with overclocking the 800 series Pentium D's is heat, you need a really good cooler to get anything worthwhile out of most of them.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/713608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice