1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel Pentium M Processor, Wrong Clock Speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Josh8178, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Josh8178

Josh8178 Thread Starter

Hi, i have a fujitsu siemens amilo laptop with a intel centrino pentium m processor, supposed maximum clock speed 1.60ghz, the thing is the laptop never goes any faster that "600mhz" even when the power settings are set to "always on" and i am running heavy demanding apps, i tested the speed with a few cpu speed test programs and i still get the "600mhz" minimum speed, i checked in bios and the clock speed is 600mhz for some strange reason? why arent i getting 1600mhz in bios?, it doesent matter whether it's plugged in or on battery i still get the miserable 600mhz:mad:

why am i only getting 600mhz?:mad:

2. KingCody

KingCody

if you were running "heavy demanding apps" on a 600MHz CPU, your computer would "crawl"

Intel SpeedStep changes the clock speed automatically based on CPU load in order to conserve power. In some laptops, you can disable speedstep in the BIOS... forcing it to run at full speed at all times.

If your regular apps run fine, then don' worry about it

aslo... keep in mind that a celeron is a budget CPU, so don't expect too much from it, and in general a celeron is not capable of running "heavy demanding apps" very effeciently.

3. Flags

Flags

Josh: Get into your BIOS and set the clock speed up a notch or two. If you have never done this, the factory setting is probably too low.
    Kick it up a notch, then boot into windows and check My Computer Properties to see what effect that new setting has. Easy does it. You don't want to overclock it.
    Reset it until you get to l.6 gigs.
    Good luck.

4. Flags

Flags

King Cody said it. I'm getting too slow.

5. KingCody

KingCody

lol :D

6. Josh8178

Josh8178 Thread Starter

There is no settings in bios where i can change the cpu speed? on the main page where it says the speed it is greyed out so you can't change it.

7. Josh8178

Josh8178 Thread Starter

I have taken a picture of my main bios screen
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• BIOS.jpg
      BIOS.jpg
      File size:
      25.8 KB
      Views:
  8. KingCody

KingCody

no BIOS allows you to change CPU clock speed simply by typing a new clock speed in... lol :) .

CPU clock speed is determined by the FSB and the CPU multiplier. Some aftermarket motherboards and BIOS's will allow you to change those factors which would result in a higher or lower clock speed. however no OEM systems (including laptops) have BIOS settings that allow you to change this.

Look through your other BIOS pages and see if anything relates to the CPU or intel speedstep

9. tomlangford

tomlangford

Try going into Display Properties, then Screen Saver tab, then power.

Ensure all the power settings are ok. Your laptop may be set to run at a slower speed when it is not connected to the mains.

tom

10. Josh8178

Josh8178 Thread Starter

Tried putting the power settings to "always on" but the speed never changes from 600mhz (sigh) i downloaded that sisoft sandra to check the speed again, plugged my lappy in, set the power settings to "always on" and ran a cpu arithmetic test and compared it to the exact same processor, intel pentium m 725 1.60ghz and it was soo much slower than it should be 590.2mhz to be exact, equivalent to a p-111 700, why isnt the stepping up thing working, it should go upto 1.6ghz surely? do i need a driver or something or a bios flash? i have had the laptop for about 16months direct from fujitsu, i could ring tech support but i have rang them enough times with hard drive problems, my laptop has always seemed slow, but i never thought it was running at 600mhz LOL

I have a dell laptop as well and that has a pentium m processor too and that goes right up to the top clock speed when i test it with sisoft sandra and other utilities.

i have googled for drivers for my chipset but cant find any that are newer than my revisions.

oh yer i checked all the pages in bios and there is nothing there where you can change the cpu speed, you can change the boot order, admin password, IDE Configuration, time, backlight auto-dimming, and touchpad support, Absolutely no other options i assure you, i have read the manual as well.

11. Flags

Flags

Josh: I'm not that familiar with laptops, but on my first homebuilt machine, I had the same problem. OS did not recognize correct speed of my CPU.
    Upon advice from this forum, and with great trepidation, I went into my BIOS-Advanced Bios Settings and changed the FSB from 100 to 166.
    My Computer Properties then showed my CPU's true clock speed of l.833 GHz.
    Check your bBIOS for Advanved Bios Settings or Advanced Chipset settings.

12. KingCody

KingCody

Since there is no such thing as a home-built or aftermarket laptop motherboard... he will not have the option to manually change the FSB speed.

In a laptop with a mobile CPU, the mulitpliers are unlocked but not manually adjustable. The BIOS will always read the CPU speed at it's lowest multiplier setting because the the CPU is not stressed when viewing/changing BIOS settings so it has no need to run faster.

The only option he will have with an Intel Mobile CPU is (if the BIOS or OS allows) is to disable Intel SpeedStep (lock on the highest mulitplier) which will force the CPU to run at it's highest speed at all times. I don't think it's necessary to do this as it will decrease battery life

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/450673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice