Intel Proset Wireless 5100 Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kelseyferl

Tosbhia Satellite L305-S5946 with Windows Vista Home Premium. Intel Proset Wireless 5100 chipset of course.

Intel Proset Wireless 12.4.3.0 series
Linksys WRT150N Wireless Router

------------------

The laptop is only a month or two old and so far its acted up like this once before. I was able to fix it then but can't for the life of me remember how, pretty sure I just disabled/enabled the wireless in device manager and it started working again.

I was playing around on the internet earlier and for the most part it was fine. At times it would hang while loading a page, I assume because it temporarily lost connectivity, then would load the page as usual once it caught back up.

But then while playing Battlefield: Heroes the game started giving me "Problem With Your Connection" errors like mad. At first I chalked it up to the game but then realized it had been playing fine for the past two weeks until today (and as far as I can tell, there were no major updates over night).

So I turn the wifi on/off using A) the front switch B) the FN shortcut and C) going into device manager and disabling the hardware. None of these have done anything.

When I try to run Intel's included Manual Diagnostics tool it gets to 'Radio Test' and gives me the message "Software Radio is OFF." After a search on google I ended up at Intel's site and they suggest using either A) the task bar icon to turn the radio back on (do not have nor have ever seen this task bar icon) or B) going into the Intel Proset Wireless application and turning the radio on. I can not for the life of me find the same software that Intel's site suggests using. I can find the Manual Diagnostics tool and Advanced Statistics.

While at Intel I downloaded the newest Proset Wireless software and driver (12.4.3.0 software, 12.4.3.9 driver), restarted, no success.

Help is much appreciated as this is doing my head in. Thanks in advance. :D

TerryNet

Terry
You want the latest Intel driver from Toshiba's web site. Sometimes the motherboard or system manufacturer has to modify Intel's "raw" driver or software for system compatibility.

Do you have a LED (I think red on a Toshiba) that indicates whether the wireless is on or off? If so, is it changing when you toggle the switch?

kelseyferl

Well I uninstalled the wifi adapter itself from Device Manager. Uninstalled the Intel Proset Wireless software. Restarted, reinstalled the Proset Software and voila its working again for now.

I was going to hit "solved" then figure it'd be better to wait and see if it acts up again. If it does then I'll take your suggestion and see if Toshiba has their own version of the software. Also poking around I noticed there is an available BIOS update so when I'm plugged back into wall power I'm going to install that.

Thanks though man. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online