1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel PROSet/Wireless unable to detect a supported wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pseudomonas, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pseudomonas

pseudomonas Thread Starter

Hello!

I will start this off by freely admitting I'm not great with computers and usually don't know what I'm talking about.

I have an Acer Aspire 4720Z laptop.
    I recently wiped it clean and installed Windows XP, and have not been able to connect to wireless internet ever since.
    I used the Acer website to download the drivers, extracted all the files, etc.

When I open Intel PROSet/Wireless, I get an error message that it is "unable to detect a supported wireless adapter. Please install a supported adapter."

Also, Intel PROSet/Wireless does not appear on my Device Manager. (The only things that are listed under "Network adapters" is 1394 Net Adapter and Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet.) I feel like that's probably part of the problem, even if I'm not sure why, haha.

What can I do to get my wireless access back?

Thank you.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

It would appear that you have not installed the drivers for the wireless card, I would have another look in the drivers list on the Acer site. You have got the switch for the wireless turned on?

3. pseudomonas

pseudomonas Thread Starter

Oh goodness, I hope it's not something so silly as not having a switch turned on.
    I googled the switch for my laptop and there's a button below the power button that's supposed to do it, but nothing happens when I press it.

I re-installed the driver, and even though it confirmed that the driver was installed there was no change.

I downloaded the driver from here:
    http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=24

Do I need to download more than just the Wireless LAN driver?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Look in Device Manager to see if anything is shown with an error

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

There is a small utility at the top of the drivers page that should detect the hardware and show you what the manufaturer name is for the wireless device. Looking at the list of Wireless drivers there are three different makes. Are you sure you used the correct one for your card?

Under Action in Device Manager click on "Scan for Harware Changes" and under View click on "Show Hidden Devices". This should show you the wireless card.

The system, for some unknown reason, is not detecting the card as it should be visible under Network Adapters. Try to locate the cover on the base of the laptop which has the wireless card underneath it and check that the card is properly fitted, it may have come loose. Has the laptop been dropped?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice