1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family... help plz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loyal2sony, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loyal2sony

loyal2sony Thread Starter

My graphics card is the Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family.

I just got Call Of Duty 2 and found out that my graphics card does not support this and many other games. My friend just bought the x850 and is willing to sell me his old GE Force FX 5900 128mb AGP for $40.

I was wondering if it is possible for me to just take out my Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family and replace it with the GE Force FX 5900 128mb AGP.

He was saying something along the lines of if my graphics card was PCI, since the one hes selling me is APG, they arent compatible.

What is Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family APG,PCI?

2. norton850

norton850

Your motherboard has onboard graphics. You don't remove them just disable it in BIOS. Here are some pictures of AGP slots. http://www.abcd.com.au/v/agp_slot.htm
    You'll have to look and see what you have.
    A utility like Everest
    will also give you the information.

3. loyal2sony

What does PCI stand for, and what does it look like?

Thanks for all the help.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

PCI=Peripheral Component Interconnect. They are white sockets about 3 1/4" long on the motherboard. You have to remove one of the cover plates on the right hand rear side of the computer case to access one. Most boards will have anywhere from 2-6 PCI slots.

5. norton850

norton850

Using the link the picture on the top right shows two slots. The brown one on the right is AGP. The white one to the left is a PCI slot.

6. loyal2sony

Ok I downloaded EVEREST and opened up display and it says
    PCI/APG

what does this mean? Do i have both?

7. norton850

norton850

Look under the heading Motherboard then choose motherboard again and look at what it says under Motherboard physical info expansion slots.

8. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

What kind of computer are we talking about here? You don't need to disable the onboard card. Windows will automatically do that once you install the new card and install the drivers. Ask your friend to come over and put it in. He'll know right away if it won't work. If you only have PCI slots and not a PCIE slot you better get a new computer to play that game.

9. loyal2sony

Uhh I am running on a DuelCore Intel Pentium D 820 2800 Mhz 14x200 gateway

sorry if the pictures are hard to see but thats what is under the motherboard dropdown in EVEREST.

Attached Files:

10. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Gateway. Got it. now what's the model nnumber?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Intel 945 chipsets only support PCI-Express. So no AGP video cards for you. You'll need to get something like a PCI-Express version of the GeForce 6600 if you wish to properly play COD2.

12. loyal2sony

13. loyal2sony

Is there any graphics card that you would reccomend for me that is compatible with pci express?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. loyal2sony

Wow triple thanks a bunch for the link!

is this card decent? eVGA 256-P2-N363-TX Geforce 6600LE 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

What are the things that I should be looking for in a graphics card for gaming preformance?

EDIT- oh also... these PCI cards seem alot cheaper than APG. Is this true or am I just looking at below average pci cards on that link?

I dont know much about anything so they all look good to me.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/420157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice