Intel(R) Celeron(R) G4900 CPU Replacement/Upgrade

TheFaultedFunny

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200701181946.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) G4900 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 11, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (72 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-E R2.0, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 190958896204338
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Hello! Just wondering what would be a great upgrade for this computer's Processor? It is very much so bottlenecked by it. My laptop had a slower core that had more threads, and it worked better. However, I doubt I can just slap an Intel Core i3-2310M in the place of an Intel Celeron G4900 Processor. (Or if that's even something I SHOULD score to do)
Even as I'm highlighting stuff in this postbox, the cursor lags. :sick: If there is a solution besides upgrading that can fix this well, please, tell me!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

ASUS PRIME H310M-E R2.0 Motherboard

----------------------------------------------------

Saying the current Intel Celeron G4900 processor is bottlenecking the speed and performance of your computer is an understatement.
It's like trying to run a Daytona 500 race car that has the engine of a Volkswagen Beetle.

Your computer definitely needs a processor upgrade.
And it needs another 8 GB of RAM.

THIS is the list of supported Intel processors for your motherboard.
Be aware that before you remove its current processor and upgrade to a faster processor, you should update the BIOS to its current version.
The most current version appears to be 1401.

----------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

First and foremost, read your motherboard manual. A bios update is not difficult however an incorrect flash can render your board unbootable ie junk. The only way I ever update the bios on an asus board is by using EZFlash which is a utility built into the bios itself.

crjdriver

You can check to see what bios you are running then decide IF you need to update the bios. You can check which bios by entering the bios or use something like cpuz to see what you are currently running.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
crjdriver:

Just for your information:
BIOS version 1401 downloads in .ZIP format and extracts in .CAP format.
I couldn't find anything in the on-line manual on how to flash that BIOS.

--------------------------------------------------

There is no info in manual, but if you go to "FAQ" tab and then check the "BIOS/Firmware" checkbox on the left you'll find a document titled as "[Motherboard] EZ Update - Introduction"

Which is this one:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008279

And then on step 4 it says:
step 4. Select BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process
It doesn't tell there is any universal file extension, all it says is just "BIOS file"

crjdriver

Alrighty, I used the EZflash utility or whatever its called to update the bios over the internet, no problems!

Now I just need to know, which CPU off this list is the best for gaming and browsing the internet at the same time?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H310M-E-R2-0/HelpDesk_CPU/
That is really simple; the 9900K. You need to understand something about hardware because you will probably be somewhat disappointed with the performance. Asus makes some very fine motherboards however yours is not one of them. You have an entry level board with a 310 chipset. In addition, it is a micro board. These are designed for basic use ie email, running office, watching a movie, etc. Boards like this one do not have the heavy duty pw regulation, extra chipset cooling, steel video slots, heavy duty capacitors that you find on a performance Asus board.
To achieve a high level of performance, ALL of the parts need to work together. Basically what you are asking about is analogous to installing a high performance cam in an econobox car. It will run however it will never run well.

While upgrading the processor to a 9900K will boost performance over a celeron, I doubt it will boost performance as much as you think.

Last edited:

crjdriver

crjdriver:

Just for your information:
BIOS version 1401 downloads in .ZIP format and extracts in .CAP format.
I couldn't find anything in the on-line manual on how to flash that BIOS.

--------------------------------------------------
That is probably the worst Asus manual I have ever seen. While this board is not designed for performance and the bios settings are somewhat limited compared to a performance board, the bios section of that manual is pretty much useless. I am assuming Asus thought that anyone purchasing a board like this one is not going to be setting ram speed manually, setting ram voltage, setting cpu voltage, etc, etc. I assume that is why there is so little info in the manual regarding bios settings, voltages, etc.

TheFaultedFunny

So what exactly do I need to do? I assume I need to get a performance motherboard in order to get any good performance out of my computer.

In other words, you PC will have the performance limited to least performing hardware component.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online