Intel(R) Celeron(R) G4900 CPU Replacement/Upgrade

crjdriver

That is up to you. As I said, a 9900K will boost performance however [IMO] you will probably not get the level of performance you would if you had a performance motherboard. There is a reason why your board sells for $69 and a performance Asus board is $200.
IF it were me, I would go with an Asus ROG board running a Z390 chipset and increase ram to a minimum of 16gig; preferably 32gig if you intend on gaming. In addition to the above, you need to be sure you have a quality pw supply.

TheFaultedFunny

Makes sense. another question from earlier. Will my Intel Core i3-2310M CPU work as a replacement? I got it out of a laptop, and I recall the laptop working fairly BETTER than this gaming desktop with the g4900 in it. I'm new to hardware-related things, and while I know a bit, I find I'm constantly learning more about the subject.

TheFaultedFunny

Alrighty, and granted, I'm not looking for a major performance boost, I just want my cursor to stop freezing up as I'm trying to do things. Do you know if upgrading to the 9900K will fix this problem?

crjdriver

This is just an observation. I have worked on a number of so called gaming desktops lately. Without exception these things come with a low end motherboard, a cheap pw supply, and a case with a LOT of lights.
A real gaming system starts with a high end corsair, seasonic, or other quality pw supply. it has a performance asus, gigabyte, or asrock motherboard, a case with decent airflow to keep parts cool, either a high performance air cooler OR liquid cooling, etc, etc.

TheFaultedFunny

I got scammed paying $500 for this PC, or is this really what $500 gets you in the world of gaming computers o_O

crjdriver

If you really want a system for gaming, I would not invest any money into your current system. Either build the system yourself OR have a local shop do the build for you. By shop, I mean just that a real shop that does builds, installs networks, etc NOT a chain store.

crjdriver

I got scammed paying $500 for this PC, or is this really what $500 gets you in the world of gaming computers o_O
The only scam was calling this a gaming system. You have a $500 PC and it is fine for doing basic tasks however not fine for gaming, rendering video, or any other intensive task.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online