1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller won't install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by etherdose, Feb 5, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. etherdose

etherdose Michael Thread Starter

A few usb devices won't be recognized and there is a yellow warning symbol in the device manager of Win 7 that there is a driver that was "installed incorrectly". I did some research on the missing driver name and found it on the Intel support site. I downloaded the Win 7 version. I ran it and it claims that my "system does not meet requirements". It's not seeing an old IDE hard drive (500gig) that I have a an external usb connected enclosure for. Very frustrated and I am not sure why Windows 7 isn't playing nice. I even uninstalled the "incorrect" driver that it stuck me with and restarted the system hoping it would possibly reinstall the drive correctly. No dice. I would greatly appreciate some fix for this as I need to get this drive read to move files from it. It is Fat32 and I can't erase it without deleting everything on it. Plus, the drive isn't recognized when I plug in the usb cable. I will post the error messages to shed hopefully some light on this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Computer info =

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8149 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114370 MB, Free - 71338 MB; G: Total - 715370 MB, Free - 52667 MB; X: Total - 228933 MB, Free - 185746 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z77-HD3
    Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, Updated and Enabled
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you! I hope there is a solution.

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3 Motherboard
    Click "Support & Downloads".
    Select "Windows 7 64-bit" for the operating system.
    Scroll down to "Intel USB 3.0 Driver".
    Select the appropriate geographic link to download and save and then install it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. etherdose

Ok...I will try that when I have some time. (VERY sick with the flu. Son had it, then older daughter got it.....then wife...now me. *sighs*) Thank you for the heads up.

5. etherdose

After clicking the link, the link is inactive. I went further to a few support links but it asks for socket type. I have no idea what my socket type is. I also already have the "download center" easy install program, but it does not see that the usb driver is missing. Frustrated. :~/

6. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

7. etherdose

The first download doesn't have any link to download that motherboard package. Plus I did try to use the disc that the motherboard came with. No good.

I downloaded the file from the bottom link and it is the same file I tried before. It says that my "system does not meet the requirements". Back to square one. :~/ (Thank you for the help and time either way.)

8. managed

managed Allan

I think you need a driver for the controller inside the enclosure. With the enclosure connected to the computer go to Device Manager, right click the device with wrong driver > Properties > Details and using the down arrow click Hardware ids and post the top line in the lower window in your next reply.

9. etherdose

It basically does this error when the drive is off. Here's a picture. If you still want me to connect it and turn it on, then I will do so. It is an enclosure for a 500 gig older IDE brick like ancient hard drive. :~/
    I'm 43 and I remember these from long ago, but now they are so outdated. Sure seems like it is some kind of USB thing. THis one is a real poser. Oddly the USB ports seem to work on my computer, just not when it tries to communicate with the old IDE drive. :~O[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  10. managed

managed Allan

That's probably the controller in the enclosure. Right-click on it > Properties > Details tab, use the down arrow to select Hardware Id's then highlight the top line in the lower window and copy & paste it into your next reply. With that information we should be able to find the correct driver.

11. etherdose

Well....

Here's the weird thing that worked. Downloading the above mention USB driver just wouldn't work as it didn't want to run or install on my computer. For an attempt at basically anything, I pulled out the original driver disk that came with the motherboard. There was a usb driver version that was a bit older. I ran it. BOO-YA! It installed. Not sure why or how, but it did and now it sees the old Maxtor IDE drive just fine. Very weird. Anyhow...thank you all for the advice and I will mark this as solved. =~)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184909