1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Intel W10 stick video woes

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nastechee, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nastechee

nastechee Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 1959 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1043 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 22453 MB, Free - 6496 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, STCK1A32WFC
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Other:
    Firefox 46.0 (32bit)
    >OpenH264 Video Codec (Cisco)
    >Primetime Content Decryption (Adobe)
    >Shockwave Flash 21.0
    >Intel Identity protection
    BBC iPlayer site

I bought the Intel Compute Stick in order to stream video from the BBC iPlayer in the UK (where I live) to my TV.
    When it arrived it had W8.1 installed. I installed Firefox as my preferred browser and used it to access iPlayer.
    This worked reasonably although not brilliantly. (I had to use a wired network connection via a USB/RJ45 adapter as the wireless was too slow and unreliable. Also a USB keyboard and mouse as bluetooth dropped out too often)
    Now I have 'updated' to W10 (32bit) I can access the BBC iPlayer site but cannot play any video. The video window remains black and the mouse pointer flickers a few times. It also flickers a few times when I then close the tab. All the add-ons appear to be up-to-date.
    I am able to access iPlayer video using other computers on the network running W10 but mostly 64bit.
    Any suggestions - hopefully apart from binning the compute stick or reverting to W8.1-?

(This is NOT sent from the compute stick)

2. nastechee

nastechee Thread Starter

I guess this device is really popular -not.
    Looks like I will be reverting to W8.1 and hoping for the best.

All my other PCs are now running W10 (But have W7 -separately licensed- versions as backup)
    Not impressed by the W10 dual boot speed on 2 machines.
    Phil

As a last resort I tried Edge browser. It did manage to show a video feed but very poorly. (Much stopping to buffer and catch up).

Phil

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  3. nastechee

nastechee Thread Starter

After lots of updates and removing bloatware Edge seems to function reasonably. Not all (UK) TV catchup sites work but enough to use for the time being. Firefox still does not work even after trying many of the solutions I could find.
    Seems that the problem is with Firefox and W10 rather than just W10.
    All is compunded by trying to use a very under-resourced platform to run it.
    Considering that I could probably use a Raspberry Pi to do the same job the compute stick doesn't seem worth the effort and money.
    OK you can carry the device around in your pocket but you need an awful lot of borrowed/extra equipment to make it work. (Wireless keyboard/mouse , power supply, HDMI display and various cables as a minimum)
    Hopefully I now have a much cheaper and more convenient alternative to try out.

Phil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice