1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intellimouse Explorer (Optical) Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NilAdmirari, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NilAdmirari

NilAdmirari Thread Starter

Alright heres the story...

girlfriends comp won't load her wireless logitech mouse, I disconnect my optical explorer bring it over and let her use that until she buys her own. No problems works fine on hers. She gets her new one I bring mine home and reconnect it, boot up, umm no mouse...wha? Yeah me = angry.

So basically I've tried lots of junk, regedit stuff (may have missed a few files possible), updated intellipoint software, tried USB ports.

This is what has happened...it gets detected in the USB port however Win XP doesn't know what the device is...doesn't even know its a mouse.

The lights work, the camera light and the back one. So it doesn't seem to be the mouse. It worked fine on this system only 2 days ago.

Is it possible for viruses to spread to hardware peripherals like my mouse?

I've included pics from "msinfo32"...3 different shots...one showing I have no IRQ conflicts, another showing that I have an "ERROR" and the other telling me what my error is "Device Cannot Start"...real helpful...you'd think it'd tell me why.

My computer is an Alienware P4 1.7Gig...mouse worked fine 2 days ago on this computer and fine on my girlfriends recently bought Dell machine (don't have the exact specs on hand). Any help?

2. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Have you tried to remove the software and the mouse from device manage, reboot the system and then reinstall as per the instructions. I'm shooting in the dark here a little because I've never used XP.

3. NilAdmirari

Alright...my computers a puss and HATES mice. I tried a standard 2 button PS2 mouse, microsoft brand, in both my serial port and my ps2 port (or well the circle one and the trapezoid one).

XP seems to be recognizing both lil suckers EXCEPT in Device Manager the mice (installed seperately and never at the same time) are listed under "Unknown" with a yellow exclamation over the mouse type. When I look at the mouse properties I'm told that "Device Cannot Start (Code 10)". Same thing it was doing with my Intellimouse.

Anyone know what my Registry SHOULD look like as far as Mouse Entries go and what Reg Entries I should remove in order to make sure my old mouse is COMPLETELY uninstalled. I'm getting really fed up with navigating windows using a keyboard here.

The Mouse is an Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Optical...the other one is just a standard 2 button Microsoft mouse...and none work :*(

I've uninstalled the software (Intellipoint), the drivers (at least by deleting whatever entries in Device Manager), and disconnected, rebooted my machine and the mice about 20 times or so...my poor lil baby.

And whats the real funny thing - hahaha - my Alienware warranty just ended a week ago. Gotta love timing.

4. NilAdmirari

The error reads "Device Cannot Start"...I think simply the Device Manager just doesn't recognize that its a Pointer Device and thats what could be the problem.

Would a Repair with the Windows XP Pro CD fix my Registry if thats the problem? The reason I ask and don't just try it is that I lost my Win XP cd, meaning I'll have to scrounge around to find someone with Pro. Unfortunately my girlfriends computer came with Home Edition.

On a slightly different note should I stop posting at my other thread that I started, specific to my situation, or should I just keep dropping my updates in both spots? Dunno whats acceptable on this board or if it makes any difference...thought that having my own thread would help key people in on my specific issues.

I've also included a picture here4

Anyway I might be able to fix my mouse Registry Entries by hand if thats the problem?

I also got this ERROR when trying to install some drivers, don't know if its a connected error though...the error read something like "Service installation section in this INF is invalid".

AND LASTLY I did a virus scan using HouseCall on the net and it came up with one virus that I'd had on my comp for a long time.
    "Troj gtmine.a"....it was located at C:\Windows\WHVLXD.EXE and an accompanying file, which wasn't detected but that I deleted anyhow, WHVLXD.DAT, again in the Win dir. I could find any info on the problem spare that HouseCall could not "clean" the file, instead having me delete it...a possible sign that it was a fake virus according to them.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try accessing the bios setup and see if there is a setting to assign IRQ to USB, if so, be sure it's set to ENABLED.

6. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

You need to pick one or the other. You can report the two posts to the mods and they can merge them, if applicable, so we are all on the same page.

It looks like you are not using the proper driver for the optical mouse. I use the IntelliMouse and my driver states USB IntelliMouse... Do you have the Cd to reinstall the drivers?

7. NilAdmirari

When I try to have it detected through the USB port the computer picks up the mouse but detects TWO devices...A USB Controller thats "Unknown" and has no drivers loaded and a PS/2 Port Mouse (Intellipoint) that is placed under the Device heading "Unknown" (I actually have to show hidden items in order to see the thing at all). I have a 4.0 cd rom AND I've tried downloading the drivers off the internet yet none of them work.

When I have the mouse detected through the PS/2 Port XP only detects one device...the correct device however I still get the same Error "Device Cannot Be Started (Code 10)" and under the same Device heading "Unknown"

I've tried different mice, both microsoft brand however, and still no luck. It's as if Win XP has forgotten that my mouse is a "Pointer Device". Very strange...and to think I loved this computer a mere 3 days ago.

8. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

In device manager right click on the unknown device and select properties, then the driver tab and update driver. When it searches for the driver have it look at the CD and see if it will install the drivers.

On my machine I show 2 mice and one is "bammed" but if I remove it when I reboot it finds new hardware and wants the CD again, so I just leave the darn thing there and all's well.....

I hope this does the trick for you. I saw the new ver 4 drivers on the M$ site but have not tried them, I'm still using 3.2.

FYI...here's the info on your error code.

Code 10
    If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

9. NilAdmirari

Woe is me still...

Just recently checked out some of my Admin Settings...went Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services...and noticed that my Human Interface Device Access service was disabled so I enabled it and tried to start, even after rebooting a few times, and it tells me that it won't start "error 126 - the specified module could not be found". Thoughts? Is it necessary?

Alright now I find it strange that my device manager just WILL NOT ever pick up any of the mice I put in as a Mouse or Pointer Device...instead it always puts it in an Unknown category, EVEN if I have the drivers in there. Whats more is that whenever I try my USB mouse it puts the mouse in an Unknown category in Device Manager but ALSO puts an Unknown device in my USB Controllers category that says it has no driver. I don't really know what the hell driver I put in for that controller. Could that be my problem?

Also note that my USB Controllers have 4 listings already, 2 controllers and 2 root hubs, after I plug in the mouse I have a 5th listing, "Unknown". Any clues...I'm racking my brains here. Considering a reformat but that would be a sad sad thing, it really would.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

11. NilAdmirari

I'll check out that virus site tomorrow as I'm not at home at the moment. Just bought a new Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. Thing installs fine, I actually get a device listing for "Human Interface Devices" and a "device is working fine" status. Unfortunately I ALSO get a listing for "Unknown" and beneath that listing a device "Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Intellipoint" that still gives me the Code 10 Error...the mouse still refuses to budge. Should I just give up and cry now? Go shell out 200$ for Win XP? Reformat? Cry? Sob? Scorn technology and computers, become a hermit, read all day, yell at kids, hide away from all of society? It'll keep me from going crazy.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/94066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice