1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intellimouse Explorer problems...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FingerDemon, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FingerDemon

FingerDemon Thread Starter

I spent $50 on a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer because I wanted to go optical, and I wanted lots of buttons for gaming. After working fine for a good 6 months, about 2 months ago I started noticing my mouse would just stop responding. Even during a game. The red light on the mouse would even go out indicating a loss of power. After returning to Windows the problem would often fix itself. I would see a little USB icon with a comment that the device was having a problem. But I couldn't click on it, so I would have to start opening up the Control Panel. Before I could ever get the Device Manager open to look at this, the problem would fix itself. This is a USB mouse, so I tried a different USB port, but the problem persisted. Driver uninstall/reinstall... didn't work either.

I had just installed Windows on a fresh partition in this machine, so I didn't think it was a driver problem. The only driver EVER installed on this WindowsXP install was the most current version. I was starting to think there was just some USB problem on this motherboard.

In any case, I switched to my old PS2 mouse and focused on another project. Building a brand new machine. When I was done with the new machine, I plugged in the MS Mouse. It worked great, so I figured it must have been the other computer.

The other night, it started happening on my brand new computer. So, I looked on Microsoft's website to figure out how I could send this crappy thing to them for repair or replacement. Can this be done?? The only way of contacting them seems to be a $35 service call. How can you return defective hardware to them?

Also, I looked on their knowledge base and they actually say their USB mice won't work on ASUS motherboards. They don't get specific as to which boards or boards built before a certain date. They just say ASUS motherboards. They say ASUS underpowers the USB ports. Well my new machine is based on a A7N8X Deluxe ASUS motherboard. These boards are brand new and I can't imagine that ASUS wouldn't have addressed a simple issue like underpowered USB ports. These ports are USB 2.0.

Does anyone think I have a chance at getting Microsoft to replace my mouse? Or do you think they will claim it is the Asus board and refuse, even though the other PC was a Dell.

Sorry for rambling, but I spent my available cash on the new PC and can't afford a new mouse to replace my relatively new mouse.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

FingerDemon

2. Sponsor

3. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

Have you changed the battery?

4. FingerDemon

[Dull blank look] Uhhh.. no. There's a battery?

Ok, maybe this is one of those make fun of FingerDemon moments for not thinking of the obvious solution. I hope it is, I hope it is. I will check the battery as soon as I get home.

Thanks for the reply.

FingerDemon

5. gws226

gws226

Hello FingerDemon,

I would start by confirming this is with ASUS. They may have a bios update that addresses your issue.

If it is in fact a power issue with the USB
    An alternative action would be to purchase an inexpensive powered USB hub.
    OR
    Purchase a USB to PS/2 connector. (I use this at my office with no problems) I think you can find them anywhere dirt cheap...but if not and your in the US I'll mail you one of the 20 spares I have lying around...(just because I hate Microsoft)

As for MS support...
    Assuming the item is still underwarrenty their has to be a FREE way to contact them regarding the item. If they have it as marked issue in their database then I am doubtful they will allow the return.

Good luck.
    G

6. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

LOL :D :D

I was checking out some of the reviews on Amazon and it seems to be a big complaint.

7. FingerDemon

cybertech:
    Well, I don't think this is one where I can just laugh at my own ineptness. If there is a battery in this thing, I'm stumped as to where or how you get at it. This is the "Wired" USB Intellimouse Optical, not the Wireless. I guess those need batteries regularly. But I thought the USB port itself provided power to "wired" USB peripherals.

No mention of battery in the User Guide, but its a piece of crap written for a bunch of different hardware.

gws:
    My wife has a USB hub, I'll have to steal it when she's not looking and try out your idea. :)

Thanks very much for the replies!

Oh by the way, Microsoft support does say I get 90 days free support from first contact. So, since I never called them before I can probably call them for free and have someone condescendingly instruct me to reboot or "try clicking the buttons" or some such sillyness.

FingerDemon

8. Rast

Rast

I realize this won't solve your problem, but I also have a wired microsoft intelimouse. The piece of junk won't work through a usb port on my gigabyte MB--but it works just fine if I use usb to pc/2 connector. The connector was just a couple of bucks. If I plug the mouse into a usb port and start the comp up, windows acts like its detected the mouse, but the cursor is won't move from the center of the screen. Essentially, I have no mouse.

I'm in the process of building a new comp, with an Asus P4P800 Deluxe, and I'm planning on powering the mouse via a usb port. Let's just say, however, that I'm hanging on to the pc/2 connector...

Good luck with the mouse problem...

9. brianF

brianF

When they start doing that just get rid of it, return it if possible, but being that microsoft changed the warranty period to 90 days that's not gonna happen.
    Generally it is a broken wire or bad connection internally in the mouse.
    My first one did that, luckily they had a lifetime warranty at that time and I got a replacement 6 months later.

My two cents, I have one here I just bought as after two years the one I am using is going nuts. Double clicking on a single click, things like that

10. FingerDemon

Well apparently my troubles with this are similar or identical to Rast's troubles. I fished the USB/PS2 connector that came with the device out of my pile of unneccesary stuff on my desk, and it has been working fine ever since.

Its funny, I chose this mouse partially because I wanted USB. I had understood the USB connection to be a higher bandwidth than PS2. I might have been wrong about that to begin with, but an extra connection is never a great thing to have to rely upon. I'm afraid Microsoft has let me down... again.

Thanks for all the replies, and I'm sorry I didn't post this as SOLVED sooner, but I was trying to fix other stuff.

BrianF, I'd have to disagree with what you were saying. If the mouse worked intermittently with a good smack or something like that, I'd suspect a bad wiring connection. This behavior doesn't seem to be affected by wiggling the USB connection or anything like that. I think its probably a bug in either the driver software or in Windows recognizing the mouse. Either way, its on Microsoft. But since the PS2 connector works, it'd be a waste of $50 to throw it away.

11. dpassera

dpassera

Hi! Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I found it while searching for a solution to this exact same problem. I've had this Intellimouse Explorer for approximately 18-24 months, the last 12 of those with the same Dell Dimension, and I just started having the problem of the "power going out" maybe 2 days ago. I haven't yet tried using a usb->ps2 converter, and that may very well fix the problem, but I'm bumping this in hopes that someone will see it and know exactly what causes this problem.

I've tried jiggling the cords and usb plugs to induce the blink-off, but it seems to do it on it's own. It almost seems like it's related to when an app is thinking or computing or whatever, since I stared at the mouse for about 10 min and it didn't do anything, then I started up Lightwave and it began intermittently powering off. It only does it maybe every 5-10 minutes, but it's kinda irritating and mostly I'm concerned that it's part of a larger problem.

I've tried re-installing the latest drivers and switching from USB to USB2 and all sorts of stuff and it's still doing it. If anyone has recently figured out what the problem is, please post! Thanks.

12. nturano

nturano

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/137474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice