1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intensive Graphics & CAD-Folkartfox's 2nd Query

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by folkartfox, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkartfox

folkartfox Thread Starter

Intensive Graphics & CAD-Folkartfox’s 2nd query
    Thanks for the quick, informative response to my last question. You guys & gales are great! I am still wrestling with the Dual Xeon v/s single P-4 processor among other things in my soon, “build from scratch computer, SCSI-SATA? Workstation project.” (See: “Blonde & 26-under Hardware, April 20th for my situation”)
    1-What would the second Xeon processor “add” to the dual processor array? By “add” I mean what would it do…overall?
    2-Would you know how dual Xeons or dual anything would improve “performance” (by “performance I don’t mean just speed, but the ability to keep multi, high graphics programs open without the computer crashing, or just sitting there, like on a coffee break! This means more to me than blazing speed! I don’t play computer games, I design in CAD, FrontPage, Adobe, CorelDraw, etc. and the ability to have multi programs open along with Web access is the top priority. I am assuming that Intel's answer to my question to them that supporting uniprocessing and dual processing has to do with multiply programs and processes running at the same time in the background like anti-virus, NIS and Outlook while you work in several large graphics programs?
    3-I thought the uniprocessing, dual processing or multiprocessing that Intel suggests the Xeon’s are capable of supporting would be a good match for my new system. Reading the on-line info at “Tom’s Hardware Guide” suggests the AMD processors may be a better match? OH, so confusing! And another article I viewed April 21st suggests that the Intel Motherboard Chipset E7505 that Intel thought would achieve a good match with the Xeon’s in a dual processor Workstation was not that good of a match. Oh, so confusing!
    4-Finding a dual processor SCSI motherboard with Raid is very difficult. There are so few to choose from I am considering that this may not be the proper way to go. If there was a demand for dual processors and they performed, then the industry would have many dual processor motherboards, wouldn’t they, or am I missing something in my analysis?
    5-I hope these are not vague questions. I hope I am not rambling on. I just want to get it correct!

Thanks ahead of time,
    Folkartfox

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Please post back to your other thread, it's easier for the folks who've been helping so far.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice