1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Interconnecting ADSL modem & 2 XP's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ken Herrick, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ken Herrick

Ken Herrick Thread Starter

Greetings techguy(s)-

Forgive me for asking what is likely old-hat stuff.

Given a) a Zoom model 5615 ADSL Bridge modem currently Internet-connected; b) a Win XP-Prof.-SP3 computer currently connected to the modem (via the Ethernet interconnection) and via that to the Internet; and c) another XP-SP3 computer, nearby and currently not so connected but also containing Ethernet capability, how can I most readily interconnect all 3 items so that d) either computer can access the Internet and e) each computer can "see" the other one for the purpose of interchanging files, making backups from computer #2 to a removable USB HD on computer #1, etc.?

Should be a slam-dunk but...knowing Windows, perhaps not...?

Ken Herrick

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    d) Connect the modem to the WAN (Internet, modem) port of a router and the computers to router LAN ports.

e) Use the Network Setup Wizard to enable file and printer sharing on both machines, and configure any non-Windows firewalls for the desired access.

3. Ken Herrick

"Terrynet", thanks for the info. Sounds straightforward & I hope it will at least approach that. One more query: how will each computer appear to the other? As a "tree" of folders or as something else? If the former, can files be moved/copied as is usual within one computer?

...and just one more: will the 2nd computer need its own a-v/firewall app? I'd suppose so.

KCH

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A router gives firewall type protection against incoming attacks. I also use the Windows firewall. Some people want the protection from outgoing attacks and use a third party firewall.

Most people recommend an anti-virus running on each Windows computer; I currently use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Each computer can choose what it wants to share. By default the Shared Documents folder will be shared with remote computers. Other folders and/or complete "drives" can also be shared. The remote computer will "see" and access the shared folders/drives nearly identical to the way it accesses its own folders/drives.

Here is an article with some pictures on Windows XP Simple File Sharing and here is a video that may be helpful (I only watched the 1st minute or so).

And, here is my plain vanilla description for enabling file and printer sharing. :)

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista or 7.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

5. Ken Herrick

OK, and many thanks, again. That's all very understandable info. Now I have to get a router & have a go at it.

And by the way, what happened to the other guy who posted? Sounded a bit off-topic. Did the post get sent elsewhere? Just curious...

KCH

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Definitely a bit off-topic. :) I sent him here.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!