1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Interesting issues with IE... interesting to me, anyway...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Hayashi_Levi, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hayashi_Levi

Hayashi_Levi Thread Starter

Hello!
    Like so many others before me, I have an issue and want help... And I’d be very grateful to anyone who can help...

So... yesterday, I believe, I was browsing around the internet... and I got the typical "This page cannot be displayed" error when I attempted to go to one of my heavily frequented websites. I refreshed a few times, as I thought the error popped up a bit quickly (and everyone knows that IE will, on occasion, toss that error at you for no good reason -_-)... but to no avail...

I shrugged, and went off to another of my regular websites. Same error. Now this struck me as odd. I refreshed a few times... both of these websites are LARGE websites... and generally are not down... one of them can be slow and sluggish on occasion, but very rarely down... Perhaps there was something wrong with my net connection? A few other clicks around the internet revealed that some websites would still load normally as though there was nothing wrong... So maybe just those websites, then?

I sent links to a few friends of mine over Yahoo!... all three of them said that the two webpages that would not load at all loaded fine for them... ...Even odder.

After a bit more experimentation, I discovered:

Some websites Will Not Show Up. At all. I get 'This page cannot be displayed" errors until the cows come home.

Some websites will display fine.

Some websites will give me 'page cannot be displayed' errors for the first several refreshes, then will show up just fine.

It is not always consistent. The two websites I Could Not get to yesterday both load. However, several other websites utterly refuse to now.

Some websites will let me browse normally, but will occasionally give me a few "page cannot be displayed" errors in small clusters before being fine again.

This website loaded fine for me at first page load. Then it errored repeatedly until I tried to go to techguy.org, when it finally loaded alright... I searched through the forums for a while from there, and was fine... then started tossing multiple errors at me... (So... if this /has/ been answered before, sorry... >_<) I'm a bit worried if this will post when I hit send..

So... to sum up: IE gives me "Page Cannot be displayed" messages in seemly random patterns with prejudice against random websites for random amounts of time. I can’t predict it...

I am using Internet explorer 6.0, on a Windows XP Pro system... this is a decently new computer, not that it should make a difference. I am on a network shared with two other computers (one of which is off, the other is sitting idle) and have been for a very long time and it's always worked fine before... no changes have been made, to my knowledge on my computer, or the 'main' computer that runs the network (though it needs to have windows reinstalled soon anyway.... ... however, it's not likely that that PC's owner will get around to finishing his preparations for that anytime soon. (*sigh*...))

Hm, what else... I have Norton antivirus and scan my PC regularly and keep it up-to-date... I don't open mysterious attachments from strangers... I laugh at them and delete them with a gleeful smile. I ran ad aware and spybot yesterday, removed a rather nasty comet "infection" and the problem persisted.

.... Being honest, I'd love if someone could help my longwinded self out (of course). I'm rather irritated at this thing as whole... I'm more then willing to answer questions and whatnot... jsut as long as we can get this solved...

Thank you very much... and you all have a nice day.

*wanders off to resume battering varied websites with a baseball bat*

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    welcome to TSG

post a hijackthis log and lets see if you have any spyware

try not to keep rebooting
    Currently the Spyware identified by the security experts and especially the morphing and breeding .exe`s in the new variants of CWS, after every re-boot required by Ad-Aware and Spybot etc, just spawns more and more files for the poster to find and delete. This is making the advice the security experts give just too hard to follow.
    One of the security experts recently had one log with over a hundred files, they guy had to format c: drive.

HIJACK THIS:

Download and copy hijackthis to its own folder , it makes backups so keeping them separate and available can be useful.

Note the Spyware tools websites are very often under attack and so I have provided more than 1 location to download from:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/downloads.html
    http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/
    http://www.sherrylynn.us/privacypolicy

Close all open windows and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”.
    Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad.
    Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.
    DO NOT FIX ANYTHING wait advice from one of the many security experts in this forum.
    I currently do not have the skill/competence to advise and poor advice can be far more damaging to your PC with this software.

Please have patience and wait for an expert to provide further detailed advice

3. Hayashi_Levi

Mmm. . we'll, I've only rebooted once since this whole thing began... and that was right at the start of all of this because.. well.. that's the quickest and easiest fix for most Windows oddities. Didn't work, though, as you'd guess. Interestingly, adaware and spybot didn't ask me to reboot.. Seems it cleaned everything without any issues. ^-^

A hijackthis log follows:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 3:04:42 PM, on 6/28/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WService.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WtSrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Azureus\Azureus.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\javaw.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Jeneko.DEEPTHOUGHT\Desktop\instll files\hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
    O1 - Hosts: 12.129.205.209 search.netscape.com12.129.205.209 sitefinder.verisign.com
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [diagent] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe" startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WService] WService.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RoboForm] "C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Semagic] C:\Program Files\Semagic\LiveJournalU.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: GetRight - Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\GetRight\getright.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu &4 - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms &] - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms &[ - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms &] (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Save (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms &[ (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: RoboForm (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RF Toolbar &2 (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst0401.cab
    O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/content/opuc.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?38053.7219444444
    O16 - DPF: {A17E30C4-A9BA-11D4-8673-60DB54C10000} (YahooYMailTo Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yse/ymmapi_416.dll
    O16 - DPF: {B991DA79-51F7-4011-98D2-1F2592E82A56} (ACNPlayer2 Class) - http://204.118.132.145/2_0/ACNePlayer.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

(edit: Edited to update the hijackthis log.. I shut down a few running programs for the sake of my own sanity... plus one of them was a game installed jsut then that could have looked funny... yes, I know it's not nessecary, but... *shrugs*)

Thank you much... ^-^

4. Hayashi_Levi

Ah.. Hmm... I have discovered something of note about these issues...

One... I'm not positive about how our network is setup.. but there are a total of three computers (Mine, Eric's and C's) on it.. And I'm pretty certain that two (Mine and Eric's)of the computers run through the third(C's)... or that our router is comtrolled by that third PC (C's)... because whenever that PC reboots, internet access is temporarily halted for the other two PCs.. While it does not work in reverse... *shrugs*

Anyway... My computer is getting the "This page cannot be displayed" errors. And Aparently Eric also has been getting alot of those errors in the past day or two... I asked C, and he said yes... however, he's not been at his computer alot in the past day or two, and was not clear on what exactly the issue Eric and I was talking about was... so.. C's computer may or may not be suffering the same issue...

Which means this issue is likely not havn't anything to do with the settings on my PC, but the setting's on C's computer... correct? I supose it's even possible that it's our ISP (Yay Charter of Alabama!) is screwed up... but...

...eitherway.. I'd still appreciate feedback on the issue.. as you might guess, it's been quite aggrevating... Thanks!

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look at 'C' PC and see if its set to ics (internet connection sharing)
    so go to the network device on C's PC which is connected to the internet and look in properties.

if its XP goto show all connections - right click on the network connection connected to the internet - advanced and see if ICS is ticked

6. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Your best bet would be to connect directly to the router.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/244168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice