1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

interesting problem with old networked computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by colinstone, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colinstone

colinstone Thread Starter

Need Help have an Pentium 2 with win 98 se the only problem is that it used to belong to a company that went out of business and was on a network that blocked out internet access via the lan. it was no problem until i got broadband and installed a new network card. and reactivated the security somehow it allows me to ping but not connect to the Internet via a browser not even on dial up. I have searched everywhere even the register for any clues. but i have to admit now i am lost for direction. I am hoping that i will not have to reinstall and lose over 2 years of useless programs that I am sure i will never use until the are gone. and ideas

Thanks in advance for any help
    Colin

2. JoneeJay

JoneeJay

When you're logging on to the system, is is trying to log onto a domain? Or do you know if it used to be part of a domain? Because these (lack of internet and internet connection wizard) are Group Policy security settings.

Try removing it from the domain (if it is on one), don't forget it doesn't need to be physically connected because credentials are cached. Removing from a domain is tricky without the domain controller, however someone might know how to do it.

let us know

3. tsunam

tsunam

you should be able to remove yourself from the domain if there is one via the local machines administrator..Shouldn't need the domain's.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!