1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Interesting problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qei, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qei

qei Thread Starter

Just had a customer call me and tell me that her keyboard is not typing the letters that she hits--ie. she types letter f and it prints out number 6. This was just one of the examples she gave me. I have never seen this problem before and was wondering if anyone else had?????? Any ideas????

2. n2gun

n2gun

Sounds like some kind of liquid got into it. Had coffee get one one i had and did some weird things.

3. bigh47

bigh47

You've found the new MS Enigma programme!!!:rolleyes:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Howard

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have her shut the computer down, unplug the keyboard, plug it back in and restart.

5. Siriusbusiness

Siriusbusiness

No biggy i had a problem like that mine printed every other key and it was a new board just a duff keyboard i guess i was given a replacement no problem, they are so cheap now id get a new one their not worth taking apart unless you wanna see what you've eaten over the past few months not very nice.

Regrds siriusbusiness.

6. qei

qei Thread Starter

Here is an update on this same machine--she brought it in to me cause she could not get KB working--even with all the great suggestions. I hooked up my KB and it was fine. Except that it seemed to have many other problems. Ran extremely slow, took forever to come up and hung up every time on shut down. She didn't want to spend a bunch on diagnosis time--said she had backed up everything that she needed and asked me to re-format and re-load Windows 98SE and she would load the rest of her software. I tried to reformat and the machine just sat there, 0% formatted. After 3 attempts I pulled the cover off and checked the HDD, it was sitting on the metal case and the JAZ drive and FDD were directly on top of it. Needless to say it was EXTREMELY hot. I moved it into an open slot with plenty of airflow and after allowing it to cool I got it to start format--started yesterday afternoon at 4:30, came in this morn @ 8:30 and it was at 69%. It is now almost noon and we are up to a whopping 76%. I am curious if anyone has encountered anything like this before?? The customer told me that she had checked for virus with the latest info when she started having problems. Any suggestions or comments??:confused:

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If your keyboard worked, then the keyboard problem must be hers.

On windows reloading this slowly, it could be the hard drive going next.....did you look in the bios setup for anything like L2 Cache disabled.....I'm not that familiar with it, but I know it can make a difference in the speed of the installation....at least I think :(

What kind of processor is in the machine and how much ram does it have?

8. qei

qei Thread Starter

Sorry--should have given you this info to start with. AMD Athlon 850MHz, 40GB HDD with 28GB free, 256MB RAM. Not sure what MB--don't see any ID markings. By the way--it has been formatting for 21 hours now and is at a whopping 80%!!! What in the --- is going on here????

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi qei

I have seen several hard drives (under thee years old) that just failed by running super slow. No other errors were noticable. I would first try reformatting with a clean write protected boot floppy with a good operating system on it just incase there is a virus on your boot disk. Then try a new (or at least different) hard drive and see if the format goes faster. The drive may just have fried. You could also try formatting the hard drive with your system to get a better idea where the problem is. BOL

10. esdxc37

esdxc37

I had a 1.5 gig hard drive that was slowing awfully and kept giving errors
    fdisked it which took just over 8 hours then did a format which took over 2 days after format capacity of drive was down to 450 mb rest was bad sectors
    got a hold of a little disk util called spinrite which after 4 days had the capacity up to 1.2gig dont know if it was worth it but after the initial 8 hours for fdisk i was determined to get it going

11. qei

qei Thread Starter

Update--finally finished formatting--took about 28 hours. Loaded Windows it is running but seems awfully slow to me. Tried a different cable, also tried Maxtor's diag tool--came up and told me that it was NOT a Maxtor drive and would not run the diagnostic. Interesting--customer took the system as it is running. I gave emphatic warning that the hard drive is probably damaged and who knows how long it will last. She understood and will back up often. I have a feeling I will be hearing from her soon. Thanks for all the help guys!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice