1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Interesting problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeA, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LukeA

LukeA Thread Starter

My brothers PC, witch has the following components

Intel Core 2 duo (cant remember the model name)
    1 Gig RAM
    ATI Radion X850 XT
    Windows XP Home

has developed a strange problem.

One day after previously working with no problems, the ATI drivers said 'We can not find any ATI hardware in your computer'. Downloading and installing new drivers gave the same error. It is currently using the default windows VGA driver, and the display is still connected through the card so it is working.

I went to the device manager, and the graphics card was listed in 'others'. In 'msconfig' under the display tab, it says 'not specified' on anything related to the graphics card.

Nothing inside the PC has been moved and all is plugged in properly. As far as I can tell the graphics card has stopped telling windows what it is, but I don't know why.
    When I get time I am going to put another graphics card in the PC (my very old Nvidia 6200 LE) to see if windows recognizes that one.

I just wanted to know if any of you had any suggestions as to why this is happening. I haven't seen this problem before.

I know this isn't the best description of the problem, but I have to go to work, I will Make it better with links to screen shots, and more details about his system after work. For now though any suggestions you have would be helpful. Thanks

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would download and install newer driver from ATi. Did he do any Windows driver updates by chance recently?

3. LukeA

LukeA Thread Starter

Windows is completly up to date, and installing the new drivers, the installer says 'No comptiable hardware for these drivers are in your system. Setup will now exit'

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like the card is shot then. Here is one more thing to try though as it could be the old driver is preventing install. Boot as if to Safe Mode by tapping F8 continuously after pressing power button and choose instead "enable vga driver" and then boot into Windows and try to install again. If no then I would try another card. One other thing is try to re-seat the video card itself as it may have moved a bit in the slot before any of the other thoughts.

5. LukeA

LukeA Thread Starter

Ill try the vga driver now, then my other graphics card. Ive already taken it out of the slot and put it in again, so it hasn't moved in the slot.

6. LukeA

LukeA Thread Starter

My old Nvidia 6200LE Works fine, his card is dead. Anyway problem solved, thanks for the help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/693801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice