Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting Question about Printing between two computers?!?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Muffy7 
#1 ·
I have a couple questions about printing between two computers

i have one Canon all in one media printer that i would like to use between my two home computers... the computers are about 10 feet away.

First of all.. i was wondering if using a program like Remote Assitance or something like that where you can access everything on someone elses computer you could print on the computer thats not hooked up to the printer.

orrrr

Second, is there anyway to send prints across the internet? i don't know if that makes sense so just ask for clarity if needed

i just dont' want to have to buy a router and all that...

kev

#2 ·
If you're insistent on not buying a router/hub, you can connect the two computers with a crossover ethernet cable. You'll then have a LAN between the two computers. Then, just right click the printer icon an dshare it, it'll be accessible from the other computer.

If both have XP you can probably get away without manually configuring each computer with an IP, BUT if you've got broadband internet you're going to need to buy a second ethernet card.

If you need help configuring your network, post back, or check out practicallynetworked.com

EDIT: Yes, btw, you *can* print over the internet as long as you know the IP of the remote computer, their printer is shared, and you have access. :)

#3 ·
Hmm ok this might help then

On one computer i have the internet coming from a router into it and then the other one is running off wireless from the same router

would that be like the same thing as a crossover ethernet cable?

if so.. how do i do it in that case?

#4 ·
I use a splitter box between my laptop and PC. The (serial) printer cables from both the PC and the laptop plug into the splitter box, and the splitter box's outgoing cable plugs into the printer. I switch it to "A" when printing from the PC and to "B" from the laptop. You can buy a splitter box from a computer shop. I bought mine a couple of years ago (hope they still make them)! Hope this helps. :) Just use long enough cables to reach from your computers to the splitter box.

#5 ·
First you said:
Muffy7 said:
i just dont' want to have to buy a router and all that...
Then you send in the next message:
Muffy7 said:
On one computer i have the internet coming from a router into it and then the other one is running off wireless from the same router
:confused: :confused: :confused:
So, you already have a router, and it is a wireless router.
All you need to do then is put both computers in the same workgroup, and then each computer can "see" the other computer.

Once you have that, then you just make the computer that has the printer to be a shared printer resource. On the second computer you just browse to find the printer share and print to it.

#6 ·
yeah i already have a wireless internet router... i meant i didn't want to have to buy a router for the printers? or is it the same? i'm new to printer splitting and such

So how would i achieve the task of putting both computers in the same "workgroup"?

thanks so much!

#7 ·
To change a workgroup:

Right click My Computer, then choose Properties. Select the Computer Name tab, then click the Change button. Make sure Workgroup is selected, and enter the name you chouse for your workgroup in the box. Click OK, close the System Properties window, and it'lll probably ask you to reboot.

To share a printer:

Click Start, Printers and Faxes. Right click the printer you want to share, then go to Properties. Click the Sharing tab, then if you see the link "If you understand the security risks..." click that link. Choose 'Just enable print sharing" and click OK. Make sure 'Share this printer' is selected, leave the default name, then click OK.

To print to a shared printer:

Slightly more involved, check out http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/printershare.mspx for complete, detailed instructions. :)

#8 ·
Howdy folks...

Muffy7...

Right click on ( on each computer ) My Computer - Properties - Computer Name - then click on the Change button, make sure that both have the same Work group name ( it usually is MShome )...

If they have the same name ( if they don't then change one of them to match ) go to Printers in the Control Panel, right click on the printer you want to share, click on Sharing and Share this printer...

Now...go to the pc that doesn't have the printer, Go to Control Panel - Printers - Add printer, Next - Select Connect to this printer - Next- Browse to the computer that has the printer double click on it, secelt the printer by single clicking on it - Next, then follow the rest of the prompts...

#9 ·
K i added my workgroup.. however when i went to allow the printer to be shared...

i clicked on the Allow Sharing bubble and clicked apply and an error message came up saying "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed" and so i tried just clicking OK but it brought up the same message... i also tried changing the shared name of the printer but that didn't work? any help?

thanks soo much for the help you already have given:)

#10 ·
Thats odd...

Right click on My Network Places - Properties - Right click on Local Area Connection, in there an entry for File and Printer Sharing, and is it checked ?

And are you doing this as an Administrator, of an account that has Administrator privleges ?

#11 ·
Yes.. the box is checked for File and Printer Sharing

and yes i am the administrator and i have administrative privelages

does the printer need to be a certain printer to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.