Interesting stand-by issues with my XP home PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Josh5442

Hi guys,

I haven't been here in a long time! I didn't post much but I do use this site as an information source quite frequently! Anyways, I have an interesting 'oddball' stand-by issue with my PC...

My stand-by and hibernate options are grayed out. Now, before you tell me to search the forums, I already have lol. It's not your normal power scheme issues and the PC is ACPI Multi-processor PC.

Now, I've tried everything I've come across on the net. But here is where it gets 'interesting' ... if you reboot standby is actually an option for about 20 seconds until the PC loads fully. In fact, if you click it you go into stand-by mode. But wait one second too long and it becomes grayed out. I can't figure out for the life of me what's causing it to happen.It's almost like a software conflict issue, but I highly doubt that as nothing runs at start-up.

It's a custom build PC (yes I know dated :():

Pentium 4 3.4
Abit "Fatality" Motherboard
2GB Kingston DDR2 PC-4200
3x Western Digital 250GB SATA HDD
eVGA 6800GT PCi-E
NEC 16XDL-DVD Burner
OCZ Modstream PSU
SB Live

I also tried changing it to 'system managed' virtual memory. I'm out of ideas and willing to try anything at this point. NOTE! I did recently restore my computer (just reinstalled windows, no files lost) and I'm not sure if that's the issue at hand. I don't remember it being grayed out before. Anyone have ANY information please post, thanks!

Josh

Edit - It does not work in safe mode either (does it ever?)

TerryNet

Terry
After installing Windows did you install the latest chipset drivers? Are there any errors or warnings in Device Manager?

Uh, yes, a lot of times the system works in Safe Mode when it won't work in normal. Since yours doesn't I'm suspecting a driver issue.

Josh5442

Yeah, installed, reinstalled, rinse, repeat. Device manager shows no errors. I also tried unplugging the USB mouse and keyboard and trying a PS2 version, no dice. What gets me is the fact that it's THERE then it disappears a few seconds later, go figure? I've done everything I can possibly think of, I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts!

TerryNet

Terry
Now just trying to gather more information until somebody else can chime in ...

Control Panel - Power Options - is there a Hibernate tab? Can you put a check mark on 'Enable hibernation'? If so, after Apply and get out, is the check mark still there when you re-enter?

Josh5442

No hibernation tab. It's like it was never coded into windows, it's completely gone from everything. Meaning can't stand-by after X amount of time, etc, it's not even an option.

TerryNet

Terry
I have no clue, but nevertheless will offer one more suggestion. Go into BIOS (Setup) and see if there is anything in there about hibernation or standby, and if so, whether the settings make sense.

Josh5442

It's enabled in the BIOS. Set to S3, also no wake from USB or LAN. That makes two of us with not the slightest clue :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online