1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Interference due to Internet Connection Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CarolinaBill, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I am looking for clarification for if and how internet connection sharing by a network client could jam or interfere with network operation. Let's say computer A and B are networked together in a sub-network properly configured with ICS activated, with an IP-series different from the main network, and with network security in place and files not shared. Computer A is the host computer for the home network and is operating with an IP-address provided by the main network and with access authorized by MAC address. If computer B accesses the internet through computer A's gateway, it must pass through the main network gateway on the way to the internet. Communication between B and the network is basically one-way at that point as I see it except for the traffic with the internet connection. The main network and any clients of it cannot connect with either computer A or computer B because of the security restriction plus the lack of file sharing. In the other direction, computer B can access the main gateway and the internet but nothing else on the network. There are two factors present that might lead to interference by B with the main network. ONE is the fact that its signal is coming from a device whose MAC address is not authorized. The SECOND is that both A and B are using the same IP-address assigned by the network, quite possibly simultaneously. Except for that, I do not see that there would be any difference as far as the network is concerned, in traffic between A or B and the internet

My question is: "Are either of these situations likely to jam the main network or cause interference?"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice