1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intergrated Video Card ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pmckey, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pmckey

pmckey Thread Starter

My friend has an HP Pavilion XT983 w/intergrated video. The hard drive has been wiped and a fresh copy of XP home has been installed.

My question is, does anyone here know exactly what type of video the XT983 has? I would like to download some new drivers from the web, HP site is not helpful. I would need to know the company that makes the motherboard for that particular model.

BTW, the recovery disks that she has don't work and the computer locks up before the install finishes, that's why I would like to install it for her manually.

If anyone is familiar with the XT983, I would appreciate any help you can give me. Even if your not familiar with it maybe you can point me to a site that has info on this particular model, not the HP site though because I've tried that with no results.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks

2. mobo

mobo

You will need to know the motherboard chipset in order to reinstall the video drivers. Download Aida32 and look under motherboard and chipset . Report the chipste back here so I can get the proper drivers for xp..

3. zeddy

zeddy

Its likely to be S3 Graphics ProSavage4 on board video

4. Whitestar

Whitestar

Here is a page that might help.

You are looking for drivers for the KL 133 chipset.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Here's the system:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph06794.html#P32_379

What the HELL!! I see what you mean about drivers!! HP is generally GOOD about driver support, but not for this machine! its a bloody loop of nothing! CLicking on UPDATE drivers - no results other than button/links for "search for drivers for this product" - yet YOURE IN the correct section!!

WindowsXP is a lot newer than your hardware, so it should load up the drivers for your video... if not, try the link by Whitestar (Man... I miss B5).

or purchase a $40 GF2/GF4 or ATI video card that includes drivers.

6. pmckey

pmckey Thread Starter

What the HELL!! I see what you mean about drivers!! HP is generally GOOD about driver support, but not for this machine! its a bloody loop of nothing! CLicking on UPDATE drivers - no results other than button/links for "search for drivers for this product" - yet YOURE IN the correct section!!

See? What did I tell Ya!! LOL

I was beginning to wonder what the heck was going on. Maybe my friend's machine is not one of their popular models or something. I've always heard HP was good with their support and all.

Anyway, you're right, XP did in fact detect all of the on-board hardware after a little messing around with it. It seems to be working fine now.

A big thanks to all of those who responded: mobo, zeddy, Whitestar and compilerxp. (y)

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Well... I guess HP considered that WindowsXP to handle all of the drivers issues for that product...?

But yeah, the Driver support for HP is *USUALLY* good, I can still download drivers for my 1995 HP SCSI Scanner (still better than todays scanners in many ways - much faster too) from their website. WindowsXP support is highly limited for it...

Glad ya got it goin...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice