1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermediate PC builder with infuriating issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jkilbrid, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jkilbrid

jkilbrid Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238372 MB, Free - 32331 MB; D: Total - 99 MB, Free - 61 MB; E: Total - 238362 MB, Free - 22424 MB;
    Motherboard: XFX, MB-750I-72P9
    Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled
    PS Windows 7 x64

Alright, well I have built a few PCs in my day, and most of them run without any problems. Most of them, that is, except for the one I have built for myself. It's reasonably old now as I built it 2-3 years ago, but the basic low-down of my issue is this.

I built this PC and had many problems with stability, I was getting constant lock-ups without any error messages that required a hard reset when doing all ranges of tasks. I assumed it was a faulty piece of hardware so I started checking it all, memtest86 showed no problems, my hard drives were both from old computers and both freshly reformatted, my processor was running well within it's temperature ranges. I got a replacement mobo and reinstalled all the hardware, but that didn't help either It started when I was installing windows the first time, then I installed windows, and started updating my drivers and it would lock up when I was playing dvds or videos on my PC then that stopped too and it would only lock up once in a blue moon (I could normally run the PC for days or weeks without any problems and it only ever really locked up at night while I slept).

However, the lock-ups seem to increase in frequency the more stress I put the computer under. Doing normal computer operations it wouldn't lock up at all, however if I started playing WoW, it would lock up anywhere from 2-5 hours in. As the games produced more and more strain the lock-ups would occur with more and more frequency, but rarely earlier than 2 or 3hours in so it was rarely ever a problem. However, I installled SW:TOR and at recommended settings I can only play for about 15minutes. on the lowest can only play for 30 minutes to an hour before my system locks up completely.

I tried checking my event viewer, but only have 3 errors that occur when the lock ups happen, one is my windows validation has failed, the other 2 are about AVG not liking being uninstalled. Not only that, but they occur at the time when the PC restarted, not when it locked up.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a problem with my video card, but it wouldn't be a hardware issue, because I originally had 2 of them, but problems persisted when I tried each one of the cards seperately. I am tapped out on ideas, and REALLY don't want to have to buy or build a new PC, so any help you guys could offer would be wonderful

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post your exact specs 4095 ram does not tell me much; you need to post the exact ram you have installed, the exact pw supply you have installed, etc, etc.

One thing I see right off; you used a nvidia chipset mb. IMO this is asking for stability problems [which you have] When you do an intel build, you use a quality mb using an intel chipset. Same goes for an amd build; quality board using an amd chipset. When you use third party chipsets ie nvidia, sis, whatever, you add an extra layer of complexity to the issue.

FWIW nvidia builds excellect video card chipsets; not so much with motherboards.

3. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Yes to more specs.
    It sounds like a problem caused by a dying power supply.
    That can cause all kinds of intermittent problems and after a
    while the computer will just start turning off for no reason.

4. jkilbrid

jkilbrid Thread Starter

The problem I have is, I don't have much money to fix this thing, and I don't really have any equipment to test my PSU or another to sub in. If I'm going to fix this thing I kinda gotta know whats wrong with it first. I don't have the money or time to be buying and swapping parts out on this thing to find the culprit.

It's also not that my computer shuts down. It locks up, like an image on the screen and it has been happening for the entire timeI've owned the computer.

Also, I should add that the mobo has one of those little LED error codes on it, and the error code doesn't show anything when the lock-up occurs so I'm still inclined to believe that the problem is in either the power-supply or the video card.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No one can give you an absolute definitive answer as to what is causing the problem. The way you test is to swap in known good parts ie pw supply, etc. This is the same thing a shop would do if you brought your system in for diagnosis.

You need to decide; do you want to fix the problem or do you want to live with it?

You may have any number of problems and the only way you are going to find out what they are is to test in a systematic manner. The very first thing we need is the exact parts you have installed.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

The 1st thing that comes to my mind is a power supply voltage drop. With a Core 2 Quad processor and a 9800 series graphics card you should have a quality power supply with a minimum of 50-60 amps on the +12v rail(s). This can be caused by a poor quality power supply or a chassis with poor thermal design.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice