1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittant Network disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bluemike, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluemike

bluemike Thread Starter

We have had a small (6 system) 100mbps ethernet network running for about 2 years. I set it up, and as yet, I haven't have any real problems with it. Recently though, a couple of the workstations have been losing their connecting to the network.

I notice that one of several of the connectivity lights on the hub will go off for 5-10 seconds, then come back on. I also will lose network browsing capability at the same time. Does this indicate that need a new hub (the one I have is the original, and in a pretty dusty enviroment)?

Mike

2. Rockn

Rockn

Try replacing the cable first or put new connectors on it. If that doesn't work, try a different port on the hub. If that also fails to isolate it, I would try a new NIC in the PC before running out and getting a new hub.

3. bluemike

bluemike Thread Starter

The thing is, there are several systems effected. At first, I though it was a cable or NIC too, but then it started happening on more than one system at a time. Hmmmm, still not sure...

Are their any good network diag tools I could buy? Perhaps something that could test a cable?

Thanks....

Mike

4. ioniser

ioniser

Hi,

Have you considered that something else is tying up your network's rescources, causing the symptoms...

Do you have up to date Anti-virus s/ware on every PC, and have you run it on all of them to make sure it's nothing nasty?

Also go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download a little utility there called Ad-Aware (sub 1Mb), install and run that on every PC too... it will pick up Spyware and other stuff that could be affecting your network's performance.

Are any of your PC's running Windows 2000? There's a really nice little network analyser in the extra's that lets you "see" the activity on the network and that may point you to the culprit... it could be something as annoying as "Master Browser Elections" being carried out between your NIC's vying for supremacy on the network. There are easy ways to stop this if it's happening...

If any of your NIC's use the Realtek 8029 chipset, replace them with something nice like a Netgear FA311TX card... 8029 appear to work, suffer under load, and stop at the most inappropriate times!

Let me know.....

Ionz.

5. bluemike

bluemike Thread Starter

I've already checked for virus and/or worm infections. I also currently run Ad-Aware once a month to clean all the spyware from our systems. I think I have solved this issue though.

I have replaced our hub with a switch. I did a little research into this, and educated myself (somewhat) on the benefits of switches over hubs. I think that our cheap little hub was simply being overworked. I found a Linksys 16 port switch for only $149.99, so I picked it up. We are still looking for trouble, but I am hopeful....

Mike

6. Rikku

Rikku

If you really want to steer clear of problems try sticking to 3com (except for Netware) or Intel NICs. They cost a bit more, but they are certainly worth it. NetGear 310/311 cards have given me tons of grief and are not supported by lots of software (like Symantec Ghost).

(imho of course) :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice