1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittend Rebooting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dug, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dug

dug Thread Starter

Good evening! I was wondering if anyone had possibly had any problems with their system rebooting whenever it felt like it? My system doesnt have any set patterns, but it will just reboot whenever. Sometimes multiple times in a day, or sometimes not for a few days? I looked through the forum and found some similar problems, but of course none just like mine??? Any help would be great! This is a new machine as of a month ago and this is what I have.

AMD 2100+ running winxp pro, sp1
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe M/B
    300w pwr supply
    2 x 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM = 512mb
    AGP = Geforce4 MMX 440 64mb vid card
    No PCI slots used
    80gb ata133 7200 h/d(mas),30gb ata66 5200 h/d(sec)
    48x24x48 cdrw, 52x cdr
    I think I have a pretty solid system, but I need some help! Thanks in advance for any replies!
    -dug-

2. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Dug, did you check to make sure all your cables and power connections are secure?

3. dug

dug Thread Starter

Yes, I did actually do that, and as a matter of fact, today I opened her up, unplugged everything and re-inserted it all to make sure of tight connections and within 5min it did it....

that was probably 6hrs ago, and not a problem since??? very strange i tell ya....haha

thanks for the reply!!
    -dug-

4. The_Egg

The_Egg

If it's still happening, it could be a hardware issue, or it could be a software/drivers related issue.

Hardware:

First of all, are any of your 4 drives seated on top of another?
    ie. is there a space between them?
    If they're on top of each other with no space between, then it could be an overheating problem, especially where the hard drives are concerned.

Automatic rebooting could also suggest some other imminent hardware failure, eg. anything from faulty ram, to PSU, to mobo chipset (eg. IDE connectors), to failing fans, to bad hard disk sectors.

On the software side, it could be a bad or incompatible driver to blame, a bad Windows config, a corrupt pagefile, or some other concurrently running software to blame (including spyware, trojans, viruses, etc).
    To determine whether it's program/app/process related, you could download & run StartUpList and post the Results file here (via copy+paste, or as an attachment)

Apart from that, you could (temporarily) turn off WinXP's internal "reboot on errors" service:
    System Control Panel -> Advanced tab -> Startup and Recovery -> settings
    Uncheck: "Automatically restart" (under: System Failure)
    You should now see a BSoD instead of it rebooting, and the exact STOP error message on this BSoD should provide the key.

ps.
    btw, does it always happen when you're in the middle of doing something?
    (ie. when the pc is active)
    or does it happen when the pc is left idle?
    or both?

If it's when idle-only, then try disabling power management features:
    Power Options Control Panel -> Power Schemes
    Change all 3 options to "Never"

Also, if relevant, disable "Hibernate" feature

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice