1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

intermittent and inconsistent Internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PSMANSION, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PSMANSION

PSMANSION Thread Starter

I would appreciate if someone could help me if they have a greater technical knowledge about Internet connections than I do?

My laptop is connected to an Internet cable inside my apartment building for access to a free Internet service provided by the building management.

I can also use a wireless connection which I'm doing right now to be able to post this question on this forum and this is similarly provided by the building management.

The high speed cable service works okay for a few days but then after say 4 or 5 days it starts to slow down and then on the 6th or 7 day I can no longer connect using the cable. The technician in my building doesnt speak such good English ( I am in Asia ) and claims it is a software problem in Windows itself in my laptop ,but I don't know what would cause the software to trigger this condition?

The last time the technician told me to go through some steps but I have to admit I have forgotten the very last ones in the " procedure " and I wondered if someone here would be able to help me to complete the final steps of the procedure :-

he said to :-

1. Right click on the computer icon on the desktop

2. click on device manager

2. click on " network adapters " these are shown as being

" Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller ( NDIS 6.20 )

and secondly " Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11 PCI-E NIC "

4. After that he told me to " refresh " the connection but I have forgotten how to do so?

But I would also like to know what triggers my computer to go into this state in any case?

The wireless connection is working okay but I have noticed once this fault happens to the cable connection, the wireless connection doesn't work either until I unplug the cable. Then I can connect to the wireless Internet connection.
    But if I leave the cable in then neither the cable or the wireless works?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    anyone else in the building having an issue?

3. PSMANSION

PSMANSION Thread Starter

I don't think so etaf because when I tell them my connection isn't working
    they give me this surprised look .

I am also noticing that I sometimes receive the following response when I tried to
    activate a web page. I don't know if it has any relationship with my problem?

ERROR
    The requested URL could not be retrieved
    While trying to retrieve the URL: http://forums.techguy.org/login.php?do=emailpassword
    The following error was encountered:

• Read Error
    The system returned:
    (104) Connection reset by peer
    An error condition occurred while reading data from the network. Please retry your request.
    Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Mon, 05 Dec 2011 15:52:29 GMT by server (squid/2.6.STABLE16)

4. PSMANSION

PSMANSION Thread Starter

double post

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the status now

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice