1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

intermittent black screen after new gfx card installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AngloMod, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngloMod

AngloMod Thread Starter

Hello there,
    I just replaced my GTX550Ti with a GTX960, I have an i5 3.0 Ghz CPU running Win 8.1 (64 bit) and 550W PSU. I have installed the latest drivers from NVidia.

The PSU has 6 pin power connectors, which was fine for the old card but the new card has an 8 pin socket so I bought a 6-to-8 pin adaptor cable.

The problem appears to be on boot up - I get a black screen, but if I remove the AC power cable and press the power button (to dissipate residual current) and then re-boot it's fine.

Now this is no big deal for me, apart from being a ball-ache, but when my less-than-techie other half boots up to go on social network sites etc, it's kind of beyond the pale to expect her to do this.

I've had the card out and put the old one in and no problems there. I've also run it without issue using on-board graphics (yuk). So the PCI-e slot and connectors have been re-seated.

Any ideas?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Just saying your computer has a 550W power supply hasn't helpful.

What brand name and model number is it?

----------------------------------------------------------

The GeForce GTX 960 graphics card uses 120W and requires a minimum of a 400W power supply.

----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice