1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent Bluetooth Device Driver of Dell Inspiron 1720

Discussion in 'Networking' started by walk17, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. walk17

walk17 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I read one of the threads here back in Jan of this year that is quite similar to my problem. The Bluetooth device driver keeps on turning off / on on its own. I'm using a wireless internet connection with a netgear router and it used to work fine for months. Problem started a week ago. I have Windows Vista Home Premium with SP2. Below are the items listed under the network adapters of device manager when my internet connection is fine:

1) Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) - (status is disabled)
    2) Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
    3) Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    4) Cisco Systems VPN Adapter - (status is disabled)
    5) Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

NOTE: No signs of a conflict like a yellow exclamation mark or X.

And here are the only ones listed when i lose connection:

1) Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    2) Cisco Systems VPN Adapter - (status is disabled)
    3) Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Here are the things I have done:

1) Reinstalled the network drivers downloaded from Dell specifically:
    Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN​
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller​
    2) When the first 2 items are visible, i tried to check for updated drivers by right clicking on it and hitting Update Driver software but it gave me a message that its already updated.
    3) Enabled items 1 and 4 to see if it will make a difference but not.
    4) Tried the TCP/IP stack repair options by going into CMD running it as Admin and typing in the lines below:

netsh winsock reset catalog​
    netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log​
    netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log​

Restarted the machine but still got the same problem.
    5) Already checked the switch from the side of the laptop and its ON.

Please help me out on this as I'm losing hope. I cant think of any other things to check anymore. As much as possible, I don't want to go into the direction of reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows from scratch or worse having my laptop repaired. I'm guessing this is just a driver or setting problem in windows / BIOS that I need to fix. Hoping for your replies. Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're telling us you have a Bluetooth problem. Why do you say " it (Wi-Fi connection] used to work fine for months"? Do you also have a problem with the wireless connection?

3. walk17

walk17 Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion, lemme get this straight. For some reason, the bluetooth driver is somehow connected to my WIFI internet connection because when the driver is visible in Device Manager, my internet is fine but when it disappears, i also lose connection. I also noticed the light indicators for the bluetooth and wifi both go off and comes back on.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sounds like the wireless and bluetooth adapters are both turning off at the same time. Maybe a defective switch.

Bluetooth devices don't show in Device Manager when the bluetooth is off.

5. walk17

walk17 Thread Starter

I see, so reinstalling windows wont do any good? I always keep the switch ON and there's only one switch I can find for both (bluetooth and WIFI). Is this really a hardware thing already that I need to have it checked?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It certainly sounds like a hardware defect to me. You may also have a utility to turn the bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi on/off, but you are certainly not actively using it and I doubt that it is running "by itself."

It's always a good thing to try to eliminate all possible software causes before digging into what may be a difficult hardware issue. If reinstalling Windows will not cost you too much effort go ahead, but if it will be costly (in time and effort) to you I would not recommend it in this case.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice