1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent connection (internet)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by siloett4, Jun 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. siloett4

siloett4 Thread Starter

My internet used to be fine, and for the last 3 or 4 months it has started cutting out every 15-20 minutes. for any amount of time anywhere from a few seconds to upwards of 30 minutes.

I have comcast/xfinity and i have told them about this issue, They told me to get a new router/modem thing and I did. This didnt fix the problem in the slightest, and they have told me its not on their end, any suggestions to fix?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Have you changed any settings on the new router? If it is on default settings then you should be fine.

If it is not the router, then it would most likely be a software problem. Could also be the networking Ethernet or Wifi component failing. Were you talking about WiFi?

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and right click on each networking adapter driver and choose Update. If any driver has a red X on it, then it is not working, and can be a hardware problem.

Check to see if your C drive has lots of free space. Windows need free space to do system things, otherwise strange things happen.

Go start Task Manager several times during the day while running different things and see if there are any background programs using a lot of cpu. On the Processes tab, click on the CPU column header to sort the program list so that the heavy users go to the top. If it is a program that you installed, remove it to check.

3. siloett4

siloett4 Thread Starter

its a brand new router have not changed any settings

And its Ethernet

C drive has 300 gig left

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Does the Network icon change on the bottom right (default) when it goes out?

Do these commands before and after it goes down:

Open command prompt and type:

ipconfig/all
    ping google.com
    ping 172.217.5.8

Copy and paste the results in a text file (Notepad) and then post the information here when you have access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice