1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

intermittent connection with linksys router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rbeaufor, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

kinda long story........here's the short version.

I bought a linksys router (BEFSR41) 6 months ago. I only used it sporadically so I finally stored it.

Recently I hooked it up again, I now have 2 computers at home.

1) win2k machine (1.5gHz) with onboard 100Mbps ethernet
    2) win98 machine (500mHz) with seperate 10Mbps realtek ethernet card

I cannot get a consistent connection to the internet on both machines. I get occasional sporadic connections on each. I also at one time was able to access the win2k machine from the win98 machine, but never vice versa. I've seen 2 error messages- one was an IP conflict error and the other was a hardware conflict. I however have not even been successful at regenerating the error messages (I've seen each one time, but cannt reproduce them.

What have I tried.
    1) Reset the modem and the router (cutting them off and on in different orders at different times).
    2) disconnected one machine or the other
    3) connect the machine directly to the cable modem

Nothing has afforded me a consistent connection.

Im confused reading this....but.....can anyone help???

:confused:

2. Del

Del

Do both machines have the tcp/ip for the NIC set to Obtain an IP address Automatically?

3. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

yeah both obtain IP automatically

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi rbeaufor, Welcome to TSG !!
    Had a similar problem. Just got mine wprking today. Could not get connections. Then tried this:

Make sure each optains ip automatcally
    Shutdown pc
    cut power to router, then cut power to modem
    In That Order!!!!!!

Make sure cable is plugged from modem to wan port on linksys router
    plug in cable from nic on pc to one port on router. ( try #4)

Plug in cablemodem, let it light up
    Plug in router, let it light up
    Turn on pc
    Worked like a charm for me!!

5. Del

Del

That's the best way to do it. Start at the outside and work your way to the pc's.

6. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try it tonight and see if it works. Its reassuring to know that someone else has had the same problem.

After a dismal night with level 3 (yeah right, he knew little more than I :mad: ) tech support from time warner cable, I was considering reformatting my machine, loading win2K in the process and starting over from scratch. :eek:

I'll let you know how this works instead...thanks again

7. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

That worked....I'm online right now at HOME!!!!

Thanks alot............

....... I hope it lasts.........

:D

8. Del

Del

I'm glad TW56 and I could help. Anytime you have a problem surfing. Do the same thing, restrart everything and turn it back on in the same order the TW suggested, can't tell ya how many times it worked for me.

9. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Your Welcome, rbeaufor!!

Glad its working!! To add to what Del said, when need to reconnect everything (Moving,etc.) Turn them off in reverse order.
    PC, Router, Modem.

Happy surfing.

[​IMG]

10. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

Noticing that I still intermittently loose my connection.

Rest assured, its not near like it was previously, but I just cant remember it being like this before (as in not this frequent).

Right now I'm OK dealing with shutting down and restarting (in the subscribed order of course ;) )

But I can't help but think in the back of my mind that something else might be going on.........

:confused:

Once again, thanks for the help

11. Del

Del

What are you restarting to get your connection back?
    router, modem, pc or everything.
    If you lose your connection again, try just the router for example. Might give us an idea of where the problem lies.

12. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

If you can find somebody to test your cables for bad connections also. I was afraid we were bragging to quick !! LOL

[​IMG]

13. Del

Del

If you have to reboot the puter and can reconnect, it is probably the computer, if you can restart the router and regain your connection, probably ISP or the router setup; if you have to restart the actual modem, it's between the modem and your ISP..

14. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

OK, lost my connection after having it on 4 occasions last night (one is questionable because my puter locked up)

Usually I had been restarting everything when this happened PC-->router-->modem off then on in reverse. Last night I tried restarting the modem alone without success. Restarting the computer alone worked on 1 of 2 attempts.

I did not, just restart the router, which I will try tonight. My wife told me that it happened to her the night before and she just restarted the computer and it worked on 2 occasions.

Over the weekend, I'm going to try and isolate the source....only restarting router tonight.....only PC on saturday...only modem on Sunday......(provided my patience can take it).

Notably, I had the cable company test the modem a few times before and they were pretty confident that it was OK. You think it would benefit me to get a new cable modem from them???

I'm still happy that I have some time online...prior to the last few days, I could not access the net at all...quite hard to game right now though :(

I'm also almost done backing up all of my files....the old reformat is creeping her ugly head back into this...

15. Del

Del

Restarting everything is probably the fastest fix, but makes it almost impossible to isolate what is causing the problem.
    When you are disconnected, what are you doing? Surfing, away from the computer?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice