1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

intermittent connectivity - new presario laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Novictory, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

I continue to be bedeviled by the compaq cq 62 presario laptop. I have downloaded new drivers, reset the bios, done a sys restore - spent 2 hours on phone to hp tech support (2 days ago) and the pc continues to balk. Also, I have the latest firmware for the actiontec router - I just tried TerryNet/John Will's following suggestion of tcp/ip stack repair options. After about 3 minutes post reboot, voila! started up. Not sure if it is the solution as suggested or just the way it randomly logs on. sometimes yes, sometimes no. Anyway, my question regarding the following is the cmd window said to restart the machine after each time I entered the info. I went ahead and did them all at once and then rebooted. Was that correct way to do it.? If so, I'll stick with it and hope it has cured cq62. If not, I'll enter each one and reboot after each entry. Thanks again.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

I believe a re-boot after all the netsh commands have been entered ,is correct.Not after each one
    Good job.

3. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Hi - unfortunately those resets did not work either.
    1. there are recommendations of shutting down the router when all other pcs are down/off for 10 seconds and then resuming router operation. Is unplugging the router going to get the same result as "resetting" the router.
    2. Perhaps it's the wireless card that is faulty. I saw a rec from somewhere else on this site that said to try a wireless usb card. I have a spare one of those - it currently connects thru the VZ router and it works fine on my old old Dell. Should I give that a try?
    3. Also, the laptop does work in safe mode as you suggested that I try. Not sure what to do with that info however. If it works in safe mode, then the wireless card must be ok -
    4. As I mentioned earlier went through a whole bunch of stuff with HP tech support to no avail.
    Sorry for the ramble -

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

1:I would try unplugging
    2:Yes
    3:I don't remember talking about safe mode,but if it does,then this is a task or app issue.Something that does not run in safe mode.
    I am not sure that I understand your problem.
    May we see this at failure:
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Consider a non-Windows firewall or security suite that is mis-configured or more likely corrupted. If you have one, which one?

6. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

In response to pedroguy - my problem is and continues to be sometimes a connection to internet, sometimes not - the laptop just doesn't want to connect consistently when I boot up So if it runs in safe mode you are saying that it may be an application or task(?) that is interfering with connection, correct? TerryNet - I am using Windows firewall and Avast Anti-virus - Everything was working every time I booted up (until about a week ago when I unplugged all systems (2 desktops, 1 wireless laptop) due to a tornado warning coming through our area. Since then, only intermittent connections on wireless laptop but wireless desktop and wired desktop work fine. Thanks again for all help.

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

Have you tried a system restore prior to tornado time ?
    And if the "intermittent" problem goes away in safe mode,I would start to suspect a "normal mode" started task.

8. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Looks like we figured it out - starting in safe mode disables firewall - and cxn works so u 2 got me thinking - I went to the firewall settings and they were set to public!! So reset to private home and it has connected 3 for 3. I'm almost hesitant to post this result but am pretty confident that cured it. Don't know how that public setting came about - I certainly didn't do it. My new question is - with this setting change, win7 has put 2 greyed out files on my desktop - when I try to delete them, it claims windows may not work if I do- any ideas about that? Thanks again.

9. pedroguy

pedroguy

Thanks for the feedback.
    Google the file names.What do these files do ?
    Personally,I would err on the side of being cautious and leave them alone,unless it is obvious to you that these files are not important.

10. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Solved the desktop.ini problem - solution in the file viewing menu - "hide system files" or words to that effect. and NO, definitely cannot delete - so now they are hidden.
    New strangeness - when I unplug pc and move to another ac outlet, the profile is changed back to public and therefore no connection. I have tried unsuccessfully to change back to private but can't seem to come up with anything. Also, when I re-plugged back into first outlet, now it has changed back to private. I need to know how to make that change permanent. Any ideas or should I go to the win7 forum? Thanks again.

11. pedroguy

pedroguy

I have no clue on that.
    If you power off the pc,and power it back on,do you have the same problem ?

12. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Yes - With pc plugged into outlet that works and a reboot, still works fine. Strange.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice