1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent CPu Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -bOuNcYoNe-, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. -bOuNcYoNe-

-bOuNcYoNe- Thread Starter

Just installed a new system for a friend and have come across an issue with the cpu fan It spins intermittently and fixes for a bit then fails again I have setup the bios to alert me when this occurs and unfortunately it has I can only assume its a faulty heatsink (stock intel) or a power or motherboard issue any assistance that can be given will be appreciated keeping in mind I have a deadline of next week for delivery I can change but would prefer not too..

Specs are Asus TA881 Mid Tower 300w PSU
    Intel C2 2140 CPU @ 800 MHZ
    80gb Sata 2 HDD WD
    Pioneer DVR 212 SATA 18x DL Burner
    Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2
    2gb Kingston RAm PC 5300 @ 667 mhz non ecc 240 pin unbuffered Dimms

Thanks..

2. -bOuNcYoNe-

I tested the system some more and have notived a pattern approx every 30 mins the fan fails and lasts for approx 3 mins then resumes fan speeds range from 430-680 rpm and Cpu temp is from 28 - 34 degree's Celsius with side panel open..

This is quite strange any ideas guys??

3. -bOuNcYoNe-

Can anyone help?

4. BDACBT

BDACBT

All the heatsink does is siphon heat off the CPU, so why you say faulty heatsink escapes me. Stupid question. Have you tried a different fan? A cheap one doesn't cost much and if it's a fan issue get a good one to deliver.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

What PSU are you using, and what is the amperage on the +12V rail or rails?

6. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

I haven't experienced this yet, but hear that it may be common with some newer equipment. Sometimes when people turn their machine on the cpu fan doesn't spin at first, until the cpu heats up, then will go on and off when needed. This would freak me out, since you aren't sure if there is a problem or not.

I'd suggest leaving the pc on and maybe using a program to load the cpu ( I fold with boinc, so thats not a problem with me), and using something to monitor the temps (speedfan or coretemp).

7. -bOuNcYoNe-

Its a stock Asus 300w psu that came with the TA-88 case

Total combined current on the 2 +12v rails are +12v1 & +12v2 = Max 19A.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I should have been more clear with my question, but now since I know you have 2 +12V rails, what is the amperage on the +12V2 rail?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

As Win2kpro is headed towards, the psu is a little scary but I am wondering if there is an auto fan switch in the bios which enables the hsf to shut down or enable itself when needed. I have a few of these 945 and 965 Gigabyte boards and you can set the hsf style of cooling you like in the bios.

10. -bOuNcYoNe-

To answer win2k ? the +12v2 rail has a rated amperage of 15A according to the PSU Specs , I have been in touch with Gigabythe regarding this and it seems Rich-M and Michael -Dee were right on the money the cpu fan reacts according to the heat and only switches on when needed the only bad thing about this in the manual there is nothing to state this so you are prepared..

Anyways dilemma solved thanks to all for their input its greatly appreciated..

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Exactly my point to that there was no indication on the box or in the manual this could be an issue.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!