1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent "Crashes"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Old Bob, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

Never had any real "crash/freeze" problems in the years I have neen using Win98SE.

But, just recently there have been "hang-ups" at -

C:\>

The next line "should" be -

C:\> WIN

But it never gets there. If I hit the "Reset button" [on the tower] it boots up into Safe Mode. If I then select "Normal Start" it's business as usual. I suspect the problem could be in POST or Windows since this happens "right on the border" of Windows actually loading.

Any suggestions/ideas short of an "over-the-top" reinstallation of Win98SE ???

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The fact it restrats in safe mode suggests to me that its at least tried the C:>win and has locked up, or it would not recognise a faulty attempt at running Windows.

So despite the C:>Win not echoing to the screen, I would still suspect the Windows system files, or even the hard drive.

Win 98 should really be reinstalled every year or so, perhaps this would be a good time to do that. It will also point out any drive issues etc that may be lurking in the background.

Just remember to backup all data off the PC...

3. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

kiwiguy,

Thanks for response.

Actually I "edited" my original posting and my suggestion as to POST or Windows proper got a little "garbled" !!

I have to agree with you that Windows made an "attempted start" and when I reboot since Windows never actually loaded and I get safe mode rather then the usual scandisk [that appears after improper shutdown].

I will try an "over the top" and report results.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice