1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent fault

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mpjbrennan, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mpjbrennan

mpjbrennan Thread Starter

Yes - they're the worst! My PC recently started failing to bring up a network connection on boot-up. After a bit of investigation I found that when in the fault condition Device Manager showed none of my PCI card devices (ethernet card and USB/Firewire card). Everything else on the PC appears to be working normally. The USB/Firewire card is brand-new, so I don't think that the cards themselves are failing. Is this possibly a sign of a dying motherboard?

Patrick

2. doggard

doggard

Try moving the cards to different slots and also not using the PCI slot directly under the AGP card as it could be a resourse problem.

3. mpjbrennan

Thanks Doggard - I've moved the cards around but the fault recurs in all configurations. I don't have an AGP card either.

patrick

4. doggard

doggard

Can you post systen details including OS and make/model of the motherboard ?

5. mpjbrennan

Motherboard - MS-6334
    Processor - Pentium III 747MHz
    BIOS - American Megatrends 62710
    OS - XP Pro SP2
    Memory - 192MB
    HDD0 - 15 GB (50% free)
    HDD1 - 80GB (90% free)
    ancillaries - Philips DVD-RW, Belkin USB 2.0/Firewire card, ethernet card, floppy drive

patrick

P.S. I should have added - the PC is connected to a router. When I switch on the router indicator lights up immediately if all is going to be OK - long before the OS has loaded. This is what makes me think the motherboard may be malfunctioning

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/286011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice