1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent Freeze on Asus P5B-E

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjesh, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjesh

tjesh Thread Starter

Where should I begin to track this problem down?

a. Inconsistent/intermittent freeze of keyboard after bringing up BIOS screen.
    b. Mouse freezes on XP SP-2 desktop for various periods of time; like 5-20 seconds.
    c. Everything freezes while playing MOHAA, but sometimes restores itself briefly after
    5-20 seconds.
    d. Often requires 2 boots to fully load XP and in 1920 x 1200 resolution. (Gateway 24")

6750, 2 gb Corsair, 8800GTX, X-Fi Gamer, DX-1, different mice, home brew WC, 650w Antec TruePower Trio, WD 750gb

I've tried wiggling the cables and tapping cards while frozen to no avail.

Please suggest a logical trial order that may track this down.
    (ZoneAlarm AV and ASW detects nothing.)

2. bigbear

bigbear

Have you overclocked at all?
    Also try just one stick of ram at a time.
    Run Memtest to see if the ram has any problems, it takes awhile best to run overnight
    http://www.memtest.org/

3. tjesh

tjesh Thread Starter

Thanks, bigbear. You nailed it (and also got me overclocked. :)
    Memtest showed both sticks good when inserted one-at-a-time in Channel A1
    Memtest showed at least one stick bad when both used simultaneously.
    Having a spare pair of identical Corsair sticks, I tried them and computer won't boot at all.
    (BTW: All this is going on with Default BIOS sets which cause serious "under-run".)

Using one stick of the first set, I got into BIOS, and set the "FSB" to 400 to match the ram.
    With a built-in multiplier of 8, I wound up running at 3.2 gb! CPU-Z reads the fsb at 1600.
    So now, it's running fine although I am overclocked. The CPU is rated at 2.66 and the MB at 1066. But the ram is not overclocked. Volts were all left at default.

Fortunately, thanks to the water cooling (which I had set up for the silence offered), CoreTemp reads 38 and 39C, up from 30 and 32. Bottom line: I probably had one bad memory stick. One address failed Memtest 3,4 and 6. If it is possible to run memory too slowly to retain stability, that is also what happened. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Memory issues were the last thing I had suspected. tje

4. bigbear

bigbear

Glad to have helped (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice